LOU REED 1975 Lund reseed at DaD

Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
lurid
Head held high

LOU REED 1975 Lund reseed at DaD

Post by lurid » 18 Feb 2011 01:44

LOU REED 1975-02-28 Lund 1st generation audience recording RESEED

NOTE: these are the same .wav files as I originally uploaded in Feb 2008. I've fixed the SBEs, updated this info file and included (a few) contemporary scans.

"...now you know I've seen every two-bit movie that you've been in...."

Olympen Theatre
Lund
28 February 1975

D101: Sweet Jane 6.03
D102: Coney Island Baby 6.01
D103: Pale Blue Eyes 5.41
D104: Waiting For The Man 7.51
D105: Heroin 12.18
D106: Berlin 6.44
D107: Lady Day 6.57

D201: Kill Your Sons 5.44
D202: Vicious 7.56
D203: New Age 5.48
D204: Satellite Of Love 6.10
D205: Walk On The Wild Side 7.18
D206: How Do You Think It Feels? 5.02
D207: Kicks 10.06
D208: White Light/White Heat 6.53

Lou Reed: guitar, vocals
Doug Yule: guitar, keyboards (?), backing vocals
Marty Fogel: sax
Alan Freedman (?): guitar (?)
Larry Packer: violin
Michael Suchorsky: drums
Bruce Yaw: bass

(I'm crediting Mr Freedman with guitar because of a report in "Oor", January 29 1975 - in reality I'm not sure if he ever played at any of the shows)

lineage: 1st generation MAXELL and SONY C90 cassettes - wav - flac (level 8) - you

original mono recording by Anders from Sektion E, Rad 2
transfer to wav February 2008 by lurid_uk
uploaded to Dime February 2008 by lurid_uk
reseeded on Dime February 2011 by lurid_uk

Anders managed to get a reasonable quality mono recording of this show using a portable Phillips cassette recorder ("the cheapest model"). He later recalled in an email to me that Lou seemed to be "stoned or drunk". Victor Bockris goes further, alleging that Lou was taking speed intraveneously throughout this tour, visting a different "doctor" in each country and collapsing in convulsions on several occasions. This recording is not up to the same standard as Anders' superb stereo tape of Lou's 1977 show at the same venue, but it's still very listenable. The audience are loudly apparent in places, often all but drowning out the starts of the songs. There's been some damage to the master tape in a few places, but nothing too bad. There was also a cut during "Lady Day" which I patched together.

This concert in Lund was the 2nd of four in Scandinavia and Lou could always be sure of a good reception there. So it proved to be, and it must have been good for tour morale to actually get some successful shows "in the can" after the disasters of the first couple of weeks. (Reputedly, Doug actually fronted one of the German shows himself when Lou was "incapable" but I'm not aware of any recording of that ever surfacing to prove it.)

Larry Packer was still playing violin at this stage, so he adds that little extra to the songs - even "Vicious" is graced with a mean violin solo. His playing isn't quite up to John Cale standards, but it makes for interesting arrangements of the songs. Lou's voice is pretty good throughout, although he resorts to "shouting mode" a bit towards the end of some songs ("New Age" in particular - after a fine start). The crowd are really worked up after "How Do You Think It Feels" ends, and are still clapping enthusiastically as "Kicks" starts. "Kicks" is hardly an "audience participation" song, but it takes the audience a little while to realise that, and some of them persist in clapping most of the way through it. Maybe as a result of that it doesn't quite have the impact that it usually has.....Lou seems distracted and misses his lines in a couple of places. "Rock And Roll" may have been played as a final encore, but it did not appear on the tapes I received.

artwork and a few ticket/cuttings/photo scans included

share the music!