Like beer - a good bootleg makes its own friends
schnittstelle
Head held high

JOHN CALE - CBGB 1978-10-27 (could be 12/27) [SKOTF ARCHIVE

Post by schnittstelle » 27 Aug 2011 17:30

JOHN CALE - CBGB 1978-10-27 (could be 12/27) [SKOTF ARCHIVE VOL. 230]

JOHN CALE
CBGB, NEW YORK, NY, USA
OCTOBER 27, 1978 (USUALLY CIRC'D AS 12/27)
SKOTF ARCHIVE VOL. 230

AUD>LOW-GEN CASSETTE>1ST GEN REEL TO REEL>STAND ALONE BURNER>WAV>FLAC

This is a pretty widely circulated show that has always circulated as 1978-12-27. It is entirely possible that that is the correct date, however, it is also possible that this is the correct date. Here's what I know: Cale did a multi-night run at the end of 78 at CBGB. However, if I am not mistaken, that run had JD Daugherty on drums. This includes the band intros at the beginning that is not on the widely circulated version and it is Jesse from the Necessaries on drums. (Not to mention Allen Lanier) At the end the announcer says that the show is a benefit. So did Cale really change drummers in the midst of an engagement? Did he really play a benefit at the same venue he was about to do 4 more shows at starting the next night? Possible, but odd. The reel to reel box says 10/27/78 and due to the above reasons that could well be right. It could also be a typo that I read way too much into - you can decide for yourselves. So much for the evidence.
SKOTF did not record this but has had it since around the time of the show so it is from a low-gen tape. Whether it is better or worse than what you have I don't know. It's sounds good to me.

BAND:
John Cale - vocals, keyboards, guitar
Richie Fliegler - guitar
Allen Lanier - guitar
Bruce Brody - keyboards
Ivan Kral - bass
Jesse Chamberlain - drums

SETLIST:
01. --band intros--
02. mercenaries
03. jack the ripper
04. evidence
05. even cowgirls get the blues
06. leaving it up to you
07. only time will tell
08. pablo picasso
09. --announcement--

no mp3's, no selling, YES SHARING
please no remaster/reposts - it is what it is.
?It ain?t perfect, but it ain?t bad?
Enjoy!!

at DaD