Rock N Roll Animal Web Page Corrections

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
MJG196
Born to Lose

Rock N Roll Animal Web Page Corrections

Post by MJG196 » 29 Aug 2013 23:25

I was telling bleach that I've noticed a number of errors and omissions in the Lou gigography (thank you, tumblr!). If anyone has any comments or corrections to MY dates, please post here!!

1973 December 21 - I found an ad in the Village Voice that lists TWO concerts for the night he recorded Rock N Roll Animal! Enrique lists one.

1974 October ?? - "Field House, Iowa University" - OK, first of all, it's the University Of Iowa (not the other way around). Second, looking at the dates and locations of the other October gigs, the only dates he could have played there were the 28, 29, or 30 of October. I looked through the Daily Iowan online archive and found no reference to a Lou concert on those dates. I doubt this date happened, considering he would play there the following month.

1974 November 2 - Fieldhouse, University Of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio - This gig does not appear on Enrique's list.

1974 November 16 - The venue was the Field House at the University Of Iowa, not "If" Iowa.

1977 October - Gigography completely misses Lou's mini-tour of New Zealand:
  • 1977 October 18 - Hamilton, NZ
    1977 October 19 - Auckland Town Hall, Auckland, NZ
    1977 October 20 - Wellington, NZ
    1977 October 23 - Dunedin, NZ
    1977 October 24 - Christchurch, NZ
1984 October 3 - The radio station is WMMS, not WMNS.

Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

lurid
Head held high

Re: Rock N Roll Animal Web Page Corrections

Post by lurid » 30 Aug 2013 08:54

great stuff MJG.

Somewhere I also have a list of additions/corrections. Enrique hasn't had the time/inclination to make any updates for the last couple of years.

I had never heard of the NZ leg of the '77 down under tour - well discovered! Pity no recordings have surfaced.
MJG196 wrote:I was telling bleach that I've noticed a number of errors and omissions in the Lou gigography (thank you, tumblr!). If anyone has any comments or corrections to MY dates, please post here!!

1973 December 21 - I found an ad in the Village Voice that lists TWO concerts for the night he recorded Rock N Roll Animal! Enrique lists one.

1974 October ?? - "Field House, Iowa University" - OK, first of all, it's the University Of Iowa (not the other way around). Second, looking at the dates and locations of the other October gigs, the only dates he could have played there were the 28, 29, or 30 of October. I looked through the Daily Iowan online archive and found no reference to a Lou concert on those dates. I doubt this date happened, considering he would play there the following month.

1974 November 2 - Fieldhouse, University Of Toledo, Toledo, Ohio - This gig does not appear on Enrique's list.

1974 November 16 - The venue was the Field House at the University Of Iowa, not "If" Iowa.

1977 October - Gigography completely misses Lou's mini-tour of New Zealand:
  • 1977 October 18 - Hamilton, NZ
    1977 October 19 - Auckland Town Hall, Auckland, NZ
    1977 October 20 - Wellington, NZ
    1977 October 23 - Dunedin, NZ
    1977 October 24 - Christchurch, NZ
1984 October 3 - The radio station is WMMS, not WMNS.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 30 Aug 2013 18:08

lurid wrote:great stuff MJG.

Somewhere I also have a list of additions/corrections. Enrique hasn't had the time/inclination to make any updates for the last couple of years.

I had never heard of the NZ leg of the '77 down under tour - well discovered! Pity no recordings have surfaced.
I hadn't either until I found a photo posted online (which I promptly threw onto my Lou tumblr): everythingloureed.tumblr.com

I did some research and found several references:

The Kiwi Concert Date Archive: kiwiconcertdatearchive.blogspot.com/2011/05/lou-reed.html

A post by the photographer Murray Cammick: publicaddress.net/capture/a-funky-good-time/

A few posts by the member of a Kiwi band, the Scavengers: opdiner.com/2006/when-the-partys-over-and-everyone-has-gone/ , http://www.guitarnerd.com.au/2009/08/ni ... r-oh-yeah/
  • These posts in particular caught my eye: "That Gibson melody maker Johnny Volume?s playing in the Mysterex vid used to be Lou Reed?s. On his 1975 world tour, Lou sold to an AK guitar shop to fund the purchase of?something?.Johnny bought it and asked Lou to sign it. Lou told him where to go." [video here: youtu.be/cWE-oZhKBes]

"Back in the Queen City, The Scavengers continued scrambling for shows.In late October, Lou Reed, punk godfather, the dark prince of rock and roll, stopped off in Auckland in the middle of a national tour. Johnny fronted up with the Gibson guitar Reed had sold to an Auckland music store on a previous visit and asked him to autograph it. Reed told him to f*** off." [http://www.audioculture.co.nz/people/th ... scavengers]
The Auckland Council Library: http://www.aucklandcity.govt.nz/dbtw-wp ... &QI0=56939
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 26 Sep 2013 03:29

On 16 April 1978, a second show (10:30pm) was added after the initial 7pm show due to "popular demand." I have an image if the poster.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 25 Oct 2013 02:05

New dates! Torrent (and ticket scans) posted on Dime.

02 August 1977 - Arenes De Frejus, FRA [cancelled]
16 August 1977 - Arenes De Frejus, FRA

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 03 Nov 2013 15:12

New date:

26 May 1973 - The Spectrum, Philadelphia PA (a WFIL charity concert)

- listed on the "Remember the Spectrum webpage: www.rememberthespectrum.com/300/concerts.asp

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 01 Dec 2013 16:48

The 27 April '78 show listed as "Tomorrow Theatre" should be "Tomorrow Club."

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 12 Dec 2013 01:26

New dates in BOLD, taken from the Facebook page of ACDC's original singer's son!

17-Aug-74 Adelaide Australia Festival Hall Australian Tour - Supporting Lou Reed & Stevie Wright
18-Aug-74 Melbourne Australia Festival Hall Australian Tour - Supporting Lou Reed & Stevie Wright
19-Aug-74 Melbourne Australia Festival Hall Australian Tour - Supporting Lou Reed & Stevie Wright
20-Aug-74 Sydney Australia Hordern Pavilion Australian Tour - Supporting Lou Reed & Stevie Wright - TBC
21-Aug-74 Sydney Australia Hordern Pavilion Australian Tour - Supporting Lou Reed & Stevie Wright
22-Aug-74 Sydney Australia Hordern Pavilion Australian Tour - Supporting Lou Reed & Stevie Wright - Not a "new" date, but corroborates Enrique's tentative info
Last edited by MJG196 on 12 Dec 2013 11:01, edited 2 times in total.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 12 Dec 2013 02:20

25 August 1974:

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 12 Dec 2013 03:42

OK, between ticket scans, ACDC's gigography, Mark Evans' FB post, and newspaper articles, I think we have the definitive '74 tour of Australia:

13 August: Hordern Pavilion, Sydney - ACDC opened
15 August: Festival Hall, Melbourne - ACDC opened
17 August: Festival Hall, Adelaide - ACDC opened
19 August: Festival Hall, Melbourne - ACDC opened
20 August: Festival Hall, Melbourne - ACDC opened
21 August: Hordern Pavilion, Sydney - ACDC opened
22 August: Festival Hall, Brisbane - ACDC opened
25 August: Hordern Pavilion, Sydney - ACDC opened