VU with the Dead

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

VU with the Dead

Post by iaredatsun » 04 Apr 2014 10:57

Trying to find out more info of any West Coast gig recordings I found this. Detailed descriptions and discussion of gigs where VU and Dead shared the bill. Don't know if there's anything new but for reference might be useful...

http://deadessays.blogspot.co.uk/2010/0 ... -dead.html
underground, overground

threechordwonder
Head held high

Re: VU with the Dead

Post by threechordwonder » 04 Apr 2014 18:09

So folks ... where is that hour long Sister Ray?

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 06 Apr 2014 12:40

'And practically none of these were recorded by the band ? just a few instances were captured by audience tapers.'

That's the main problem I think.

cartoonist

Post by cartoonist » 13 Apr 2014 00:41

Hm ? this is probably old news, but I'll tell it anyway.

Many many years ago, after a gig of the Moe Tucker band, I sat together with Sterling Morrison and he started talking about the tour with the Dead. He basically told me the Dead used to secretly spike everything reachable with LSD and when he, Sterling, grabbed a bottle of milk out of shared room fridge, he got incredibly stoned shortly after.

Which, according to him, was at a time when he was completely off drugs, studying English Literature and living a happy life. He hated it being fooled by such a trick. Lou apparently was much more clever ? he used to buy his drinks and food from local supermarkets.

Anyway, apparently this is why the cover of the 3rd album shows Sterling slouched on the sofa. He was out of his head because of this particular spiked bottle of milk. So it's all the Dead's fault! :-)

Slightly off topic though, because it's got nothing to do with the recordings. But anyway a nice tidbit me thinks.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 13 Apr 2014 17:02

Let's not rush to hate the Dead for what they did to Sterl, as easy at that may be. They did, after all, write Touch Of Grey, which had a cool video with skeletons. The rest of their catalog may be worthless, but Touch Of Grey was pretty awesome to a couple of kids in South Euclid, Ohio!

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1258l ... grey_music
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

feelingfresh
On the wild side

Post by feelingfresh » 14 Apr 2014 02:35

cartoonist wrote:Many many years ago, after a gig of the Moe Tucker band, I sat together with Sterling Morrison and he started talking about the tour with the Dead. He basically told me the Dead used to secretly spike everything reachable with LSD and when he, Sterling, grabbed a bottle of milk out of shared room fridge, he got incredibly stoned shortly after.
In an interview with them included in a 1967 CBS program called "The Hippie Temptation", one of them says "we think everyone should turn on; we think it'll be a better world."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26uOh1xYGI

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 14 Apr 2014 11:18

feelingfresh wrote:
cartoonist wrote:Many many years ago, after a gig of the Moe Tucker band, I sat together with Sterling Morrison and he started talking about the tour with the Dead. He basically told me the Dead used to secretly spike everything reachable with LSD and when he, Sterling, grabbed a bottle of milk out of shared room fridge, he got incredibly stoned shortly after.
In an interview with them included in a 1967 CBS program called "The Hippie Temptation", one of them says "we think everyone should turn on; we think it'll be a better world."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H26uOh1xYGI
The CIA used to spike people with LSD in the 60s, as well. Frank Olsen as described in the Manchurian Candidate. Then there was the mass spiking of a French community (through their bread) that recently came to light. I guess the CIA must have been doing in a quest for a better world, too.
underground, overground