3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Briski
Beginning to see the light

Re: 3rd Album Deluxe - Bill Levenson drops a hint?

Post by Briski » 08 Dec 2014 18:46

This and the previous boxes for the earlier albums are fantastic but I'm now somehow feeling a little wistful - I'm guessing the "cupboard is now bare", I doubt there are any gems left in the vaults. Up until these boxes we always had the hope of things to come, but now it feels like we've probably had it all; quite apt that the last studio track (from the MGM days at least ) is "Ride Into the Sun".

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 09 Dec 2014 00:38

I'm still hoping for some kind of early years box. But I think John Cale would need to be in on it. Any of the deep down in the vault stuff has gotta come from him. Maybe he'll have a change of heart since Lou's passing.

I'd love to see a box set that could put together Lou's pickwick recordings together with The Primitives rehearsal, the pickwick demo's, the Velvet demo tape from summer '65, and other stuff. Like I have a theory that Cale took Al Aronowitz's wollensack tape recorder, as he seems prone to doing, and so has the tape from their very first performance in 1965, as well as the Hippodrome show from from 68 which he recorded on the same device.
Wishful thinking maybe, but some of that could also see the light of day on a Lou Reed solo box.

bobbydriver
On the wild side

Post by bobbydriver » 09 Dec 2014 10:13

Briski wrote:This and the previous boxes for the earlier albums are fantastic but I'm now somehow feeling a little wistful - I'm guessing the "cupboard is now bare"
Come on man - stay positive! There might be a Squeeze 5.1 surround sound remaster yet...

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 09 Dec 2014 23:14

I'd not heard of that one before. Any more detail?
Wick Pick wrote: , as well as the Hippodrome show from from 68 which he recorded on the same device. .

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 10 Dec 2014 01:25

lurid wrote:I'd not heard of that one before. Any more detail?
Wick Pick wrote: , as well as the Hippodrome show from from 68 which he recorded on the same device. .

Sorry it's a little daunting trying to find a reference for you but I'm sure I read recently that the recorder used at the Hippodrome gig was a wollensak. I could have the gig wrong, but it stuck in my head because i know that's the same device used to record the Summit High School gig. On page 61 of Unterberger's book it says that 'the Wollensak recorder was stolen...somebody saw one of the Velvets pack it up with their equipment.'
You know what I mean, like when Cale's in the band it seems like whatever shows are recorded, go missing. And then, literally, the moment he leaves the band the first show is recorded and circulates, with many more to follow.
Anyway I'll keep looking for that reference.

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 10 Dec 2014 17:10

Wollensak was a very popular recorder. There was probably more than one.

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 10 Dec 2014 20:43

bobbydriver wrote:
Briski wrote:This and the previous boxes for the earlier albums are fantastic but I'm now somehow feeling a little wistful - I'm guessing the "cupboard is now bare"
Come on man - stay positive! There might be a Squeeze 5.1 surround sound remaster yet...
This is making me feel queasy and disorientated. Some things we don't joke about :twisted:

leamanc
On the wild side

Post by leamanc » 11 Dec 2014 02:42

DavidH wrote: This is making me feel queasy and disorientated. Some things we don't joke about :twisted:
Sorry that he made that Squeeze reference to you, but he can't help it...

He's a mean, mean old man!

Seriously, I'd like Squeeze a whole lot if it was credited to Doug Yule and not the VU.

bobbydriver
On the wild side

Post by bobbydriver » 17 Dec 2014 11:12

Sorry for the Squeeze gag - I realise it's too soon..gonna be at least 50 years before we can joke about that one :D

So back to the boxset - anyone else notice that the credits for the Mono mix do still infer that it was created at the time as a promo mix.

The concensus on the forum here suggests that is BS and it's a 21st century fold-down.

Did Alfredo or anyone else ever get a definitive answer of it's true provenance?

thisisit1

Post by thisisit1 » 17 Dec 2014 22:30

The 3rd album has been pulled from Spotify completely. Not even the first 4 CDs and Sister Ray are available anymore.