Rare, Rarest and Most Expensive VU items

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
dial4
Head held high

Re: Rare, Rarest and Most Expensive VU items

Post by dial4 » 22 May 2015 12:56

I'm not a big fan of the 1993 reunion, unlike the Stooges and then Iggy & the Stooges, I think Lou does all his best to sound as boring as he can but these 3 videos seem interesting.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 17 Jun 2015 22:52

Correct, I made the transfer from VHS about 10 years ago on a Pioneer combo deck (VHS --> HDD --> DVD). I got the VHS at the end of the nineties from a friend but it got stuck in the VHS player a few years ago when I wanted to make another transfer to DVD :( . So I'm lucky I still have the first transfer I made. The original VHS tape is completely wasted the first 3 minutes or so and it was not a good idea to keep it in a cold basement for several years so this DVD is the best one around.

I also have Rotterdam and Amsterdam on VHS but I'm looking for a good VHS player now to make the transfers (I don't want to take the risk by messing up the tape again :roll: ). I can't remember the recording quality of these two but they were made with the same camera as Hamburg. I'll check the audio on these and I'll compare to the sound recordings I have for these shows and maybe I can mix them with the video. However, I will make the raw master copies first before I start editing but this is something for next weekend. The Hamburg recording mentioned above has it's own original sound...[/quote]

I have The Forum, Hamburg, Prague, Udine, and Bologna; I pretty sure those are all I have. I converted Udine (close-ups-the best show IMHO) and one other to DVD (and used to sell then on eBay back in the 90's----I know, SHAME on me) but they are packed away with my other 28 V.U. boxes in my closet. "Saint" Mike Kostek spent 2 days in foul swamp water after Hurricane Isaac to rescue my entire collection and drove it to his Florida home. I had him sell some items (I was in shock) but came to my senses and he shipped it all back once my house was repaired. I have only opened up 2 boxes since then because I am so terrified of flooding again. It is packed for quick evacuation! :( Hurricane season just started again, but after the season is over, I will make the 2 DVD's available to this group and if someone wants to convert the others, I will make the original VHS's available for conversion. I lost all my equipment--only my Lou/VU was saved. :( BTW, I was unaware that there was video of Rotterdam and Amsterdam; I was at BOTH shows and would LOVE to see those videos! :D

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 25 Sep 2015 16:50

I rather like this Cafe Bizarre menu from the 60s. It says that it is from the early 60s when the Velvets played there (well it would wouldn't it!) But i'm not so sure maybe a little later with the Indian references (?) Its all rather striking and very attractive - has some nice wit about it too - "$1.50 money well wasted" !!

I have often wondered about this early location in the story and this menu gives a rather nice insight I think.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 25 Sep 2015 17:41

Of course like Mr Freeman, you have a tape of the VU there playing LIVE & Universal wanted you to give it FOR FREE inclusion on the future "ultra super de luxe anadisc series 51st anniversary and so on" for the "pre VU&NICO" release.

feelingfresh
On the wild side

Post by feelingfresh » 21 Oct 2015 20:20

I'm interested in selling this.

For info, see "July 5-6, 1968" on this page: http://olivier.landemaine.free.fr/vu/li ... erf68.html

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 22 Oct 2015 01:33

feelingfresh wrote:I'm interested in selling this.
I think the most difficult thing about selling ephemera like that is proving its authenticity. On ePay there are TONS of reprints/duplicate flyers that people are trying to pass as real. If it IS the real thing, you may want to have it authenticated before trying to sell it.
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 24 Sep 2017 11:54

White Light/White Heat single on Discogs at $850 dollars

https://www.discogs.com/sell/item/53584 ... lationship

Generic discogs image:
underground, overground

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 09 Dec 2018 20:02

This hand painted cardboard sign was used at the La Cave 4th Oct 68 gig - it's unknown who painted it.

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 21 Jun 2019 00:41

Never seen a 'censored' back sticker which has been stuck upside down before.

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 21 Jun 2019 01:23

What it's covering is upside-down, so why not?