THE VELVET UNDERGROUND TAROT CARDS in SF Oct.

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
taxine
Head held high

THE VELVET UNDERGROUND TAROT CARDS in SF Oct.

Post by taxine » 27 Aug 2016 12:32

The Vevet Underground film going to be proyected in SF in october among other' AW's clasic movies.

https://www.ybca.org/whats-on/the-velve ... arot-cards

I came acroos this Festival some days ago,what made my think about a new Emerson proyect with "Uptight #3 & Tarot Cards films".
By other hand lately there're been some festivals such "EXPOSED :SONGS FOR UNSEEN WARHOL FILMS with very new stuff.It wouldn't be so hard get an updated list of films in a close future,if these new-restored movies are going on festivals !!

Meanwhile attached an old THE FILMS OF ANDY WARHOL Complete Price List 2009 for blown your minds out !!

https://www.moma.org/momaorg/shared/pdf ... _nonUS.pdf
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

peppergomez
Head held high

Re: THE VELVET UNDERGROUND TAROT CARDS in SF Oct.

Post by peppergomez » 07 Sep 2016 07:28

Excellent. Someone should see it and report back.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 08 Sep 2016 18:57

When the BTP film was restored and shown, it was later able to be rented for private viewings. That is how Emerson project was able to come to fruition. I'm hoping this will happen again unless the IDIOT who posted it on YouTube where it then took off like a virus, hasn't fucked up our future chances. Fingers crossed.

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 09 Sep 2016 02:35

I'm planning to attend, but I'm afraid I'm not going to try to record it.

Thanks for the heads up, Taxine!

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 10 Sep 2016 14:06

hkmartin wrote:I'm planning to attend, but I'm afraid I'm not going to try to record it.

Thanks for the heads up, Taxine!
You're welcome man,looking forward your review .. :P 8-)

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 15 Sep 2016 12:47

Movie Diary 11/17/2014

The Velvet Underground Tarot Cards (Andy Warhol, 1966). The Seattle Art Museum showed this 65-minute opus in 16 mm. Lots of snap-zooms, indecipherable conversation, and Andy’s attention-deficit camera be-bopping around the room. It’s a test of patience, but there’s something interesting going on, too – you realize that the point of attending this party isn’t to engage in conversation or hear anything especially interesting, but just to be there and watch and take it all in. Which is what Warhol does. The members of the VU, including Nico, are in it.

The film was originally shot as b-roll footage for The Velvet Underground and Nico during their Exploding Plastic Inevitable performances. On screen, band members have their Tarot cards read. There are a few interruptions during the readings and audience members will gain insights into how Warhol worked.(pittsburghmagazine)

This is all I've found about the movie..a sort of an "official" report,it'd nice have more information though !!

https://roberthorton.com/2014/11/17/wordpress.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 15 Sep 2016 21:21

taxine wrote:Movie Diary 11/17/2014

The Velvet Underground Tarot Cards (Andy Warhol, 1966). The Seattle Art Museum showed this 65-minute opus in 16 mm. Lots of snap-zooms, indecipherable conversation, and Andy’s attention-deficit camera be-bopping around the room. It’s a test of patience, but there’s something interesting going on, too – you realize that the point of attending this party isn’t to engage in conversation or hear anything especially interesting, but just to be there and watch and take it all in. Which is what Warhol does. The members of the VU, including Nico, are in it.

The film was originally shot as b-roll footage for The Velvet Underground and Nico during their Exploding Plastic Inevitable performances. On screen, band members have their Tarot cards read. There are a few interruptions during the readings and audience members will gain insights into how Warhol worked.(pittsburghmagazine)

This is all I've found about the movie..a sort of an "official" report,it'd nice have more information though !!

https://roberthorton.com/2014/11/17/wordpress.
Thanks much.

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 28 Oct 2016 08:10

I just got back from seeing this. Thanks again to Taxine for clueing me in - I probably would have missed it otherwise.

I think the review above is a pretty good summary.

It all takes place in a cramped, dirty New York apartment, filled with our heroes, various Warhol associates and the card reader. You can hear little bits of dialog here and there, but most of it is incoherent. Typical Warhol shots - zoom in, zoom out, pan left, pan right, in focus, out of focus, zoom in on a piece of clothing, zoom in on Lou's crotch. Everyone is smoking and drinking Schaeffer and Reingold Beer. Some people are ignoring the camera and some are shamelessly mugging. Mostly no action at all. Someone gets a whole can of beer poured on them (possibly Moe - I couldn't tell). Two women get into a wrestling match. That's about it.

Lou looks pretty cool in a black T-shirt and his dark sunglasses. Nico is a vision in white - it almost looks like a negative shot when she first appears.

Several people in the audience left before it was over - I could imagine being bored by the proceedings if you're not an obsessive, but that won't be a problem for anyone here. Richie Unterberger was there, and he stayed until the end.

The film was introduced by a woman named Anastasia James, who is apparently an expert on Warhols films. She said she contacted several of the people who appeared in the film, including Cale, but none of them remembered it, which is fitting.

I though the film give real interesting fly-on-the-wall sense of what it was like to hang out with the Warhol crowd in 1966.

The show sold out (even though there were plenty of empty seats). The added a second show this Sunday afternoon. They said that one sold out too, but they hinted that, if you come early, you'll likely get in on the waiting list.

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 28 Oct 2016 18:51

thanks so much for the update. I hope the film goes into "rental" soon.

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 29 Oct 2016 10:20

Thank you for sharing your impressions, hkmartin!