VU Photo Thread

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
taxine
Head held high

Re: VU Photo Thread

Post by taxine » 23 Mar 2017 11:16

Holy shit,one of the more amaizing&cool pictures I ever came across,actually is the Trip clasic stuff that someone posted long time ago here,but folks in vivid colour....a kinda jump up into that LA.night of may 67.I'd frame it and would hanging out on MOMA museum in NYC.

Check this out:http://www.gettyimages.es/fotos/the-vel ... ostpopular
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 23 Mar 2017 21:34

We have discussed this before: the Velvet Underground never played at The Dom but The Open Stage, which was upstairs The Dom.
The name of a venue as found in its own adverts might reflect its formal identity, but "down on the street" the upstairs/main room of 23 St. Mark's Place was far more frequently called the Dom, and the downtairs/bar area far more frequently called Stanley's, than any other configuration.

I first heard those names used in those ways by Sterling and Maureen, and have since heard the same from a number of different people who were active in the 1960s scene in NYC. To insist otherwise is to say that people who were there are wrong.

--Phil

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 25 Mar 2017 16:14

Dear Phil

With all respect and according to newspapers ads Stanley's was a different place located 12th & Ave. B. Owner Stanley Tolkin later opened The Dom in St Marks Place, as a drink-dancing bar.

[img]http://i64.tinypic.com/1iliev.jpg[img]

You can read Open Stage manager reflections in the great Warhol Stars Web Site:
The E.P.I. was similar to ANDY WARHOL, UP-TIGHT (see February above), featuring The Velvet Underground, Nico, Warhol's films, and various Factoryites dancing onstage. Although people referred to it as happening at the the Dom, it actually took place at the "Open Stage" in the hall above the Dom Bar. "Bob" John Liikala ran the Open Stage. He had previously shown some of Warhol's films at the Bridge Theater across the street from the Dom where he managed an underground film program.

"Bob" John Liikala [October, 22/26, 2008]:

I had the "lease" arrangement with Stanley, who ran the Bar at the Dom and managed affairs for the entire Polish Hall. I guess collectively the building was owned by the Polish cultural organization and used to use it for weddings etc., Stanley, I assume, was Polish origin and as a result had the bar, although back in 1962 or so I only went to his bar on Ave.B, an artists hangout - we weren't even aware of the Dom then.

At that time I was managing the underground film program across the street at the Bridge Theater as well as a variety of experimental stage intermedia productions plus the art gallery at the Bridge. I knew Paul Morrisey and showed some of Warhol's films.

Empire helped kill film censorship in NYC. When I took it down [to the censors] to set their required "seal" of approval, their eyes were spinning after watching it in shifts - sending out for coffee - they shouted 'never...never...bring us another thing like that!' A few months later film censorship went out!

My only association with Warhol at the Bridge was to show Empire, The Bridge was self contained, not an extension of the Film-makers Cinematheque during my period, although a year prior to my arrival Jonas Mekas had a hand in running film there as an extension of the Film-maker's Co-op.

In addition to running the underground film program and art gallery at the Bridge theater on St. Mark's Place I concurrently ran the "Open Stage" across the street in the hall above the Dom Bar, no one referred to my site as the Dom, it was the "Open Stage."

Just to set history straight, "Dom Inc." did not premiere the [E.P.I.] event, it didn't even exist. Probably Stanley's name is in the fine print on "Dom Inc." He gave me a personal hint a week or so before that 'business shouldn't get in the way of our 4 year friendship!' I also was friends with Rudi Stern and Jacki Cassin, who did light shows for my Open Stage events. Rudi eventually had the Neon Forever Galleries in NYC and L.A. and just died a few years ago.

Rudi Stern and Jacki Cassin were collaborating with me on "light shows" at Open Stage with various bands I'd invite personally after seeing them in local cafe gigs. One did Indian Raga's mixed with R&R which I loved, since I dug Ravi Shankar and many other forms. Open Stage was a very open and available venue for experiments, as was the Bridge and later Group 212 in Woodstock.

Anyway, Warhol may have paid someone $ for a month's lease, not me, I ran a box office on a % basis for a month or so, until Warhol's tricky business managers got the "lease" out from under me.

Look at the premiere poster, top line "OPEN STAGE', That's my operation and my quick and dirty poster, same as the spray-painted banner that I rushed together to hang on short notice."

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 30 Mar 2017 11:12

taxine wrote:Image
BTW,I'm surprised by the lack of feedback with the awesome VU TRIP picure,maybe is old stuff that I left behind but is very new and "fashionable & colourful" to me.As far I recall we only knew one in colour from the same venue so far,but looks was taken closer than this one.I miss a Nico's superphoto on stage in full colour(lately new stuff is seeing light).I'm quite hopeful ....like a kid waiting for the near bday !!

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 31 Mar 2017 07:41

taxine wrote:BTW,I'm surprised by the lack of feedback with the awesome VU TRIP picure,maybe is old stuff that I left behind but is very new and "fashionable & colourful" to me.As far I recall we only knew one in colour from the same venue so far,but looks was taken closer than this one.I miss a Nico's superphoto on stage in full colour(lately new stuff is seeing light).I'm quite hopeful ....like a kid waiting for the near bday !!
All of these EPI photos are extraordinary - it's hard to believe that half a century later, there are still images coming to light. I'm just not really sure what to say other than 'WOW!'

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 01 Apr 2017 11:37

Another west coast still in the Castle,with a blinding "sunny day" effect but looks Paul Morrisey,Mary Woronv,Andy and Gerald.Rare EPI portrait without the band,I bet for one of that weird press interviews Warhol and gang used to give at the time.

source:Steve Schapiro (getty images)

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 02 Apr 2017 15:16

taxine wrote:
taxine wrote:Image
BTW,I'm surprised by the lack of feedback with the awesome VU TRIP picure,maybe is old stuff that I left behind but is very new and "fashionable & colourful" to me.As far I recall we only knew one in colour from the same venue so far,but looks was taken closer than this one.I miss a Nico's superphoto on stage in full colour(lately new stuff is seeing light).I'm quite hopeful ....like a kid waiting for the near bday !!
Taxine, sorry – I never noticed this one before – a nice find. It's a lovely, sumptuous and exciting image. Technicolor. A rarity. So easy to think those days were actually lived in black & white.

I saw the new version of Steven Shore's book today in the shop. Very nice and at least one photo (another Lou-in-cafe shot) I had not seen.
underground, overground

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 06 Apr 2017 22:46

Nico with American actor Ben Carruthers, promoting her Immediate 45 at the Pine Shop on Carnaby Street in 1965 (pic: Fiona Adams)

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 06 Apr 2017 23:05

Sheila Klein wrote:Nico with American actor Ben Carruthers, promoting her Immediate 45 at the Pine Shop on Carnaby Street in 1965 (pic: Fiona Adams)

Wow. She looked almost like normal person, at one time.
underground, overground

iaredatsun

Post by iaredatsun » 06 Apr 2017 23:05

Sheila Klein wrote:Nico with American actor Ben Carruthers, promoting her Immediate 45 at the Pine Shop on Carnaby Street in 1965 (pic: Fiona Adams)

Wow. She looked almost like normal human being, at one time.
underground, overground