William Kermit Smith

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Sheila Klein
Head held high

William Kermit Smith

Post by Sheila Klein » 31 May 2018 04:15

Anyone ever come across this name before?:

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Re: William Kermit Smith

Post by Sheila Klein » 02 Jun 2018 03:11

I'd like to change the title of this topic to "P.R. shoes ..." :P

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 03 Jun 2018 19:57

Sheila Klein wrote:
02 Jun 2018 03:11
I'd like to change the title of this topic to "P.R. shoes ..." :P
Not "Growing up in Publicity?"

ps I hadn't realised Kermit had split with Miss Piggy.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 06 Jun 2018 00:11

Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 07 Jun 2018 05:03

William Kermit Smith tells us that
the Velvet Underground & Nico will
work a l-week gig at Montreal’s
“EXrO-67,” from Jan. 16th to 23r(l.
During this stay they will tape an
Ed Sullivan TV'^’er. The group is also
scheduled for a 30-day European tour
to begin in mid-Mar. This tour will
be promoted by Giorgio Gomelsky.
Robert Wace, and William Kermit
Smith.

Steve Paul’s The Scene has booked
the Velvet Underground and Nico.
As an added attraction, Andy Warhol
will make a film in the West 46th St.

https://archive.org/stream/cashbox28uns ... 2_djvu.txt
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 08 Jun 2018 03:09

William Kermit Smith tells us that the Velvet Underground & Nico will work a 1-week gig at Montreal’s “Expo '67,” from Jan. 16th to 23th. During this stay they will tape an Ed Sullivan TV’er. The group is also scheduled for a 30-day European tour to begin in mid-March. This tour will be promoted by Giorgio Gomelsky.
Fascinating propositions all, but not one of them came to fruition. I don't believe they made it to Expo '67, they sure never did the Sullivan show, didn't make it to Europe until after Reed was gone, and never got to work with Gomelsky. Perhaps the group was paying their publicist with dope, and he was high when he wrote the press release this report is obviously taken from.
Robert Wace, and William Kermit Smith.
Wace was co-manager of The Kinks. This was apparently a photo caption, with the photo itself long lost to old-magazine dust. It sucks that Cashbox's online archive is only a very poorly OCR'd text, compared to Billboard's wonderful full-page scans.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 09 Jun 2018 02:35

Sheila Klein wrote:
08 Jun 2018 03:09
Fascinating propositions all, but not one of them came to fruition. I don't believe they made it to Expo '67, they sure never did the Sullivan show, didn't make it to Europe until after Reed was gone, and never got to work with Gomelsky. Perhaps the group was paying their publicist with dope, and he was high when he wrote the press release this report is obviously taken from.
Thanks for that! I was wondering when someone would chime in.

pineappleaftermath
Beginning to see the light

Post by pineappleaftermath » 09 Jun 2018 02:37

Montreal's Expo 67 only ran in the summer (well, April to October) so a January engagement doesn't make a lot of sense...

mangue
On the wild side

Post by mangue » 18 Jun 2018 15:19

Been searching around for VU lately and related to "William Kermit Smith" found following:
--------------------------------------------------------------------
1966 May 21, Cash Box vol.27 #42:
*page 32: Smith Opens N.Y. Office
NEW YORK - Bill Smith has announced that his p.r., promotion, and publicity firm, William Kermit Smith Ltd., has taken offices at 1841 B’way, this city. The firm will handle the Young Rascals whose newest outing on Atlantic is “What You’re Trying To Do To My Heart,” the Shadows of Knight with their new Dunwich release “Oh Yea,” the Shangri-La’s on Red Bird, and the MGM pacted “Velvet Underground.”
*page 34: Smith Opens N.Y. Office
NEW YORK - Bill Smith has announced that his p.r., promotion, and publicity firm, William Kermit Smith Ltd., has taken offices at 1841 B’way, this city. The firm will handle the Young Rascals, the Velvet Underground, the Shangri-La’s, and the Shadows of Knight. The Young Rascals’ newest release on the Atlantic label is “What You’re Trying To Do To My Heart.” Well remembered for “Gloria,” the Shadows of Knight are currently making a lot of noise with another Dunwich offering entitled “Oh Yea.” The MGM pacted Velvet Underground is making the scene at the Trip in L.A.

https://archive.org/details/cashbox27unse_42
1966.December.03, Cash Box vol.28 #20, page 28:
"The Velvet Underground, in the company of William Kermit Smith, dropped by the office to leave a copy of the Velvet Underground & Nico’s new single, “Sunday Morning” and “Femme Fatale.” The group is back in the city after having worked a gig in Detroit. An album is expected shortly."

http://www.americanradiohistory.com/Arc ... -12-03.pdf

mangue
On the wild side

Post by mangue » 18 Jun 2018 15:30

Sheila Klein wrote:
08 Jun 2018 03:09
It sucks that Cashbox's online archive is only a very poorly OCR'd text, compared to Billboard's wonderful full-page scans.
See other formats (incl.full pdf and single page scans) at https://archive.org/details/cashbox28unse_22