VU Photo Thread

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Sheila Klein
Head held high

Re: VU Photo Thread

Post by Sheila Klein » 03 Dec 2018 16:26

I don't recall having ever seen an official promo photo from the Sesnick era before:

https://tinyurl.com/ybwuh68j

How unfortunate that this is the pic that was used: Walter looks wasted, Sterling looks a thousand miles away, Moe looks like she's catching a fly and Doug looks mildly stoned. This was the best frame available?!

I don't recognize the ATI logo/name, and wonder whether it might be that of the group's booking agency. If so it's possible it was distributed without any involvement of (or perhaps even knowledge by) Sesnick at all.

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 03 Dec 2018 21:57

I wonder what it felt like being in the band at that stage.

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 04 Dec 2018 22:54

Note that the recently-posted image of Nico in front of the Last Words drumhead (with portions of Mary's leg and arm with whip creeping into the frame) is from the show described in this handbill:

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 04 Dec 2018 22:55

The venue:

More of photographer Tim Boxer's images from that event (including a couple with The Ronettes) can be seen at https://tinyurl.com/y7vc5e2k.

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 05 Dec 2018 18:48

Awesome pictures,thank you !!
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 07 Dec 2018 19:34

I believe we have seen this picture before, but I'm not sure the venue was identified as the Gymnasium. (In fact, was it not previously identified as having been the Dom, which mystified us all?) Once I learned the correct venue, I was able to realize that the materials surrounding the people are the outer ropes of a trampoline. But, what is that big orbular thing next to the lady at the upper left of the image?

The photographer, by the way, was Ron Galella, the late paparazzo who was infamous in the '70s for his confrontations with celebrities such as Marlon Brando and Jacqueline Onassis.

bradski
Head held high

Post by bradski » 13 Mar 2019 20:53

[No idea if this has been posted before, apologies if it has. I've never seen it.]
Apparently in 1964 John Cale and Lou Reed entertained chidren at parties dressed up as Batman & Robin.
Does it look like Cale? Not sure.
any sounds that we feel would detract from the performance has been left in place

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 14 Mar 2019 07:22

Amazing! Thank you very much!

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 14 Mar 2019 22:51

bradski wrote:
13 Mar 2019 20:53
[No idea if this has been posted before, apologies if it has. I've never seen it.]
Apparently in 1964 John Cale and Lou Reed entertained chidren at parties dressed up as Batman & Robin.
Does it look like Cale? Not sure.
Unfortunately this isn't what it's been described as. This article is written by the person who was the kid in the photo: https://www.scottcrawford.org/ive-still ... s-picture/ Long story short, the photo was taken in 1979, not the mid sixties, when Reed and Cale were well past having to dress up as superheroes to get by.

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 26 Mar 2019 21:07

Sheila Klein wrote:
07 Dec 2018 19:34

I believe we have seen this picture before, but I'm not sure the venue was identified as the Gymnasium. (In fact, was it not previously identified as having been the Dom, which mystified us all?) Once I learned the correct venue, I was able to realize that the materials surrounding the people are the outer ropes of a trampoline. But, what is that big orbular thing next to the lady at the upper left of the image?

The photographer, by the way, was Ron Galella, the late paparazzo who was infamous in the '70s for his confrontations with celebrities such as Marlon Brando and Jacqueline Onassis.
Hi Phil

This pic was with another 2 in the Esquire Magazine Dec 1967 (Inevitable pag 210). Taken while the VU was performing there in the Spring 1967