Seeking a couple of Cale shows

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Mark
Head held high

Seeking a couple of Cale shows

Post by Mark » 26 Dec 2018 14:36

Does anyone happen to have either of these two Cale shows?

18-07-77 Brunnsparken Festival, Orebro
31-12-79 CBGB

Been looking out for those two for years but they never seem to surface online. Would be great to hear them if anyone has em.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

PhantomRaspberryBlower
On the wild side

Re: Seeking a couple of Cale shows

Post by PhantomRaspberryBlower » 10 Jan 2019 21:20

I have four tracks in my stash with the date 31-12-79, received as filler. No lineage info at all, so hopefully they are what they claim to be...

https://we.tl/t-jGPuAorvm9

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 11 Jan 2019 11:28

Thanks, that's very kind of you to dig those out. I think those are from the Even Cowgirls Get the Blues LP. What I'm really looking for (but didn't mention in my original post for the sake of brevity) is another set of songs from the same night which I've seen on people's lists in the past, one of which is apparently Tonton Macoute.

I believe most of the 78/79 CBGB shows were taped by Jim Flynn Curtin. Wonder what happened to him?
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 13 Jan 2019 00:21

There was a guy who taped most of Cale's CBGB's shows 77-79 but several shows had more than one taper
it wasn't Jim Flynn Curtis. The tapes were among items stolen from his car during a house move.

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 13 Jan 2019 00:37

What the CBGB's taper did was make compilations of his favourite performances from the shows he recorded. Those compilations
survived the theft but dates of each performance were not kept. This is why a lot of what is available from that time and venue has the applause cut between the songs.

I believe Ray Manzarek appeared as a guest on keyboards for the 31-12-79 show, Cale also sang "Auld Lang Syne"

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 18 Jan 2019 02:40

That's interesting. So although the Cowgirls LP was put out by Curtin, they weren't his tapes? Or were they?

What you say about the masters being lost and 'best of' tapes making it into circulation makes a lot of sense. I remember when you torrented some of the 1978 stuff a few years ago there was a bit of overlap and duplication between dates.

I suppose we're lucky that period is pretty well documented with tapes - I think it's some of Cale's best stuff and of course there isn't much on vinyl. You could make up a second volume of Sabotage from the songs he was doing then that weren't on that LP:

Jack the Ripper
Memphis
Hedda Gabler
Chickenshit (did he ever do this live?)
Tonton Macoute (ditto)
Don't Know Why She Came
Casey at the Bat
Doctor Dark
Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
Doctor Dark
Dance of the Seven Veils
Whisper
Rape
Somebody Should Have Told Her
Fucking the Neighbour's Wife

Are there others that I've forgotten? There's a hell of an album in there anyway.
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 18 Jan 2019 21:13

This might add some flesh to the bones if you haven't already seen it - "His late 70' wild years" by Ben Dyment

http://www.furious.com/perfect/johncalecowgirls.html

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 19 Jan 2019 14:56

let the CBGB's taper i know be known as K, he's critical of what was put out on the "Even Cowgirl's..." release because of sound quality. Maybe Curtis did use his own tapes but the K tapes are better sound quality and he had a bigger archive. K also has a series of New York Cale CBGB's shows from 1977 (also cut up and part of the batch stolen) as well as more stuff from 80's and beyond taped in the NY area that's post theft and intact.

Your list of unreleased tracks is pretty comprehensive, Ton Ton was played live, i have it. I don't have "Chicken Shit" live but think there's a poor quality mp3 floating about. "Neighbours Wife" is also on the infamous "Cale, Hunter, Ronson & Laing session tape though i think Cale's singing "Hugging your neighbours wife"...long time since i heard it

From what i have (over a dozen cdr's from 78/9) it's hard to find the correct running order of a show, what i put on dime some years ago was guess work to a large degree, despite all the mayhem Cale was still playing the ballads like Buffalo Ballet and Close Watch.

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 19 Jan 2019 15:51

The article by Ben is quite good but has a few things not quite true, Cale didnt do a North American tour at the start of 1977, he played around the New York area, did a show in Boston, two in Toronto then went to LA to play a few nights at the Starwood Club

Jack the Ripper wasn't cancelled as a single because of the Yorkshire Ripper

The work with Julie Covington, Menace, Squeeze & Dave Kubinec was 1977 not 1978 (though all released in '78)
The so-called Sabotage tour starting in March 79 continued until August not stopping in May-July (the album was recorded in June)
The timeline for songs and concert dates is off too...the Hunter Ronson sessions were June 1978 not autumn 1979....Cale's Xmas 79 CBGB's residency was his 3rd not 2nd etc etc

Mark
Head held high

Post by Mark » 23 Jan 2019 01:35

Thanks Gaz, extremely well informed as ever.

The Cale Hunter Ronson Lang tapes... are these out there somewhere? I know there was briefly some talk of a release quite a few years back.

Any possibility you might be persuaded to open your collection from this period on Dime once more at some point?
8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1