Lou Reed Papers, 1958-2015

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
lurid
Head held high

Re: Lou Reed Papers, 1958-2015

Post by lurid » 24 Mar 2019 22:16

so much interesting stuff! The following implies that Lou recorded "LA Bars" during the sessions for Sally. The (almost indecypherable) words for it are in his lyrics notebook from that period, along with other unreleased ditties such as "Was-Is-Been", "Relationships" and, oddly enough "Follow The Leader".

Lou Reed [Sally Can't Dance]
1974 March 21

Ride Sally Ride
L.A. Bars
Good Taste
Sally Can't Dance
Kill Your Sons
Ennui
Animal Language
Baby Face

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 24 Mar 2019 22:21

Another point of interest: there exists an audience recording of Lou at the Bottom Line, usually dated May 1978, where the set list includes "Louie Louie" and a long, slow, almost spoken version of "Sister Ray" where Lou appears to be telling stories. That recording doesn't seem to be in his May 78 archive. Pity because I'd love to hear a soundboard version of it.

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 24 Mar 2019 23:55

lurid wrote:
24 Mar 2019 22:16
so much interesting stuff! The following implies that Lou recorded "LA Bars" during the sessions for Sally. The (almost indecypherable) words for it are in his lyrics notebook from that period, along with other unreleased ditties such as "Was-Is-Been", "Relationships" and, oddly enough "Follow The Leader".

1974 March 21

Ride Sally Ride
L.A. Bars
Good Taste
Sally Can't Dance
Kill Your Sons
Ennui
Animal Language
Baby Face

Where can you see the lyrics notebook, I've never heard or seen of it. So had you already known about 'LA Bars' before the archive went up? Or is the notebook part of the archive too?
I'm always hunting for every song I can find, and you've just mentioned 2 that I've never heard of.

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 24 Mar 2019 23:57

lurid wrote:
24 Mar 2019 22:21
Another point of interest: there exists an audience recording of Lou at the Bottom Line, usually dated May 1978, where the set list includes "Louie Louie" and a long, slow, almost spoken version of "Sister Ray" where Lou appears to be telling stories. That recording doesn't seem to be in his May 78 archive. Pity because I'd love to hear a soundboard version of it.
There is a mid-seventies show listed in the archive that contains performances of Chelsea Girls and It Was A Pleasure Then. I wonder if there could possibly be Lou vocals on those 2 renditions, or if they are something all together different.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 25 Mar 2019 01:28

Wick Pick wrote:
24 Mar 2019 23:55
lurid wrote:
24 Mar 2019 22:16

1974 March 21

Ride Sally Ride
L.A. Bars
Good Taste
Sally Can't Dance
Kill Your Sons
Ennui
Animal Language
Baby Face

Where can you see the lyrics notebook, I've never heard or seen of it. So had you already known about 'LA Bars' before the archive went up? Or is the notebook part of the archive too?
I'm always hunting for every song I can find, and you've just mentioned 2 that I've never heard of.
I've got photocopies of some of the pages from his notebooks. I'm not sure if the originals are in the archive or not but I would assume they are. I got them a few years back from someone who was close to him at the time.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 25 Mar 2019 01:32

Wick Pick wrote:
24 Mar 2019 23:57
lurid wrote:
24 Mar 2019 22:21
There is a mid-seventies show listed in the archive that contains performances of Chelsea Girls and It Was A Pleasure Then. I wonder if there could possibly be Lou vocals on those 2 renditions, or if they are something all together different.
It seems unlikely to me that lou was singing these songs in the mid - 1970s. I noticed a couple of obvious mixups in the listings and assumed this was another one.

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 25 Mar 2019 03:32

lurid wrote:
25 Mar 2019 01:32
Wick Pick wrote:
24 Mar 2019 23:57

It seems unlikely to me that lou was singing these songs in the mid - 1970s. I noticed a couple of obvious mixups in the listings and assumed this was another one.
That’s awesome. Cool then, I will make note of the songs.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 25 Mar 2019 20:39

Wick Pick wrote:
17 Mar 2019 14:45
It seems the Pickwick song Put Your Money Down On The Tab, that was a known title but unconfirmed it Lou Reed was the main writer or just listed as a co-writer, is on the 11-song demo as 'Put Your Money Down'.
Do you have a complete list of "possible" pickwick era songs? I remember scouring old design records discographies a while back looking for possible lou involvements but not finding anything new.

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 25 Mar 2019 20:57

lurid wrote:
25 Mar 2019 20:39
Wick Pick wrote:
17 Mar 2019 14:45
It seems the Pickwick song Put Your Money Down On The Tab, that was a known title but unconfirmed it Lou Reed was the main writer or just listed as a co-writer, is on the 11-song demo as 'Put Your Money Down'.
Do you have a complete list of "possible" pickwick era songs? I remember scouring old design records discographies a while back looking for possible lou involvements but not finding anything new.

I do have a list yes, of Pickwick songs with Lou's involvement, unconfirmed if he directly wrote them or not. 'Put Your Money Down On The Tab' was listed as that title in the Unterberger book, obviously wasn't the correct title.

And I've been working on re-chronologicalizing (word?) a complete list of known songs written by Lou since this new information came out. I'd love to run it by someone knowledgable.

lurid
Head held high

Post by lurid » 25 Mar 2019 21:18

hardly one of Lou's finest moments, lyrically....from his 1974 notebook, with chord annotations:

WAS-IS-BEEN
All the things you said
you thought I was dead
everything made me feel aware

Ah, you're getting old
you're doing things
you're losing your hair

(Am) all the things that
(C) you used to believe
turned out to be true
you're guilty of treason

(G) You're the kind of person