The Velvet Underground Documentary - Call to Fans

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
vudocumentary

Re: The Velvet Underground Documentary - Call to Fans

Post by vudocumentary » 03 Jul 2019 17:45

Thank you for your leads, everyone! Still open to any others.

Haight Trashbury
Hangin' 'round

Post by Haight Trashbury » 03 Jul 2019 19:53

As I mentioned on a couple other threads, Tony Conrad made an off-the air tape of the VU’s 1968 “Upbeat” show, and it’s the last known surviving copy of the Velvets on that program. I have no clue where Conrad’s VU tapes went (supposedly they were given to Cale), or if the reel even still survives, but it’s worth a check. I have also been very vocal about the possibility that there are undiscovered VU soundboards in the possession of the Owsley Stanley Foundation (both of the band’s shows with the Dead and hopefully even EPI at the Fillmore). The tapes for their Jan. ‘66 David Susskind’s Open End appearance and their Jan. 1970 WLS-TV appearance might still be out there, too. I’m assuming you already know about Steve Nelson’s (of Boston Tea Party fame) footage of the Velvets at Paramount Theater in 1970. It has a more or less complete recording of Heroin. Nelson isn’t too keen on sharing it at the moment, but he very well might make an exception for you given the high profile of your work.

Haight Trashbury
Hangin' 'round

Post by Haight Trashbury » 03 Jul 2019 20:13

Haight Trashbury wrote:
03 Jul 2019 19:53
As I mentioned on a couple other threads, Tony Conrad made an off-the air tape of the VU’s 1968 “Upbeat” show, and it’s the last known surviving copy of the Velvets on that program. I have no clue where Conrad’s VU tapes went (supposedly they were given to Cale), or if the reel even still survives, but it’s worth a check. I have also been very vocal about the possibility that there are undiscovered VU soundboards in the possession of the Owsley Stanley Foundation (both of the band’s shows with the Dead and hopefully even EPI at the Fillmore). The tapes for their Jan. ‘66 David Susskind’s Open End appearance and their Jan. 1970 WLS-TV appearance might still be out there, too. I’m assuming you already know about Steve Nelson’s (of Boston Tea Party fame) footage of the Velvets at Paramount Theater in 1970. It has a more or less complete recording of Heroin. Nelson isn’t too keen on sharing it at the moment, but he very well might make an exception for you given the high profile of your work.
Update: I should also mention that Barbara Rubin filmed the VU at Cafe Bizarre in 1965 and at the Jan. 1966 psychiatrists’ convention at Delmonico Hotel. Many, if not all of her films still survive, so you should definitely check this out.

Haight Trashbury
Hangin' 'round

Post by Haight Trashbury » 03 Jul 2019 20:59

Haight Trashbury wrote:
03 Jul 2019 20:13
Haight Trashbury wrote:
03 Jul 2019 19:53
Update: I should also mention that Barbara Rubin filmed the VU at Cafe Bizarre in 1965 and at the Jan. 1966 psychiatrists’ convention at Delmonico Hotel. Many, if not all of her films still survive, so you should definitely check this out.
Update 2 (I’m so unorganized lol):

Cale obviously has soundboards of more than one of the Gymnasium shows, since he once played on the radio a version of “Guess I’m Falling in Love” from that venue that never appeared on the WL/WH 45th Anniv. box set and publically claimed to have a Gymnasium recording of “Walk and Talk It” that he never released. The Warhol Museum also has several recordings that never went anywhere, including the full Feb. 1966 Filmmakers' Cinematheque show and (most interestingly) a March 7, 1966 rehearsal tape including covers of the British Invasion classics I Can’t Explain, The Last Time, and My Generation. Would love to hear these.

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 04 Jul 2019 00:19

Haight it would be most helpful if, when discussing these recordings, you specified when you're referring to audiotapes and when videotapes. Most helpful indeed.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 04 Jul 2019 00:49

Haight Trashbury wrote:
03 Jul 2019 20:59
Haight Trashbury wrote:
03 Jul 2019 20:13
Cale obviously has soundboards of more than one of the Gymnasium shows, since he once played on the radio a version of “Guess I’m Falling in Love” from that venue...
To clarify, there is a recording of that one song that Cale has/had in 1979, but it is not soundboard quality, and there is no evidence that there is more.

Haight Trashbury
Hangin' 'round

Post by Haight Trashbury » 04 Jul 2019 01:08

simonm wrote:
04 Jul 2019 00:49
Haight Trashbury wrote:
03 Jul 2019 20:59

To clarify, there is a recording of that one song that Cale has/had in 1979, but it is not soundboard quality, and there is no evidence that there is more.
Actually, considering that the only publically known copy of that version of “Guess I’m Falling in Love” was taped (very crudely) off of the radio, there’s no way to tell whether it’s soundboard-quality. Also, Oliver’s site made it very clear that Cale has “Walk and Talk It” from the Gymnasium. You are right when you say that it’s unclear whether there’s anything more, however.

Haight Trashbury
Hangin' 'round

Post by Haight Trashbury » 04 Jul 2019 01:22

Sheila Klein wrote:
04 Jul 2019 00:19
Haight it would be most helpful if, when discussing these recordings, you specified when you're referring to audiotapes and when videotapes. Most helpful indeed.
Conrad’s Upbeat tape could be either audio or video. Nobody knows. The Warhol Museum stuff is also audio. The rest is already sufficiently described.

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 04 Jul 2019 04:20

thanks for your detective work

walkonvu
Beginning to see the light

Post by walkonvu » 04 Jul 2019 09:39

Haight Trashbury wrote:
04 Jul 2019 01:22
Sheila Klein wrote:
04 Jul 2019 00:19
Conrad’s Upbeat tape could be either audio or video. Nobody knows. The Warhol Museum stuff is also audio. The rest is already sufficiently described.
https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... 409/page-3

Conrad recorded one of the (three?) Upbeat appearances over a public payphone.