Collections ...

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
threechordwonder
Head held high

Collections ...

Post by threechordwonder » 14 Jul 2019 19:01

Just wondering - what plans are people making for their collections of vinyl and cds and limited-edition private releases and books, etc., ready for the time they "go from this land here to that"?

Will your nearest and dearest keep them or will the dumpsters of the world overflow? Are there places that would welcome our cultural artefacts when we can no longer use them?

alfredovu
Head held high

Re: Collections ...

Post by alfredovu » 15 Jul 2019 08:10

This is a good one!

Some time ago i read an interview with Jeff Gold - Recordmeca, most probably the biggest record collector in the world. He reflected his family did not have interest in records so it would be a big mess for them handling the huge and high-value collection. He thought at one point in the future would start selling his goodies and turn them all into cash.

I thought if he could do that i should be able to do the same. My situation is same , only the big difference on size of our collections. But i do not want my lovely VU lps, singles, cassettes, 4-8 tracks and all the newspapers and magazine being a big dilema for my family the day i will go.

Not yet ready, i am 55 , but hope will be brave enough to start selling all my treasures when 75 or so. And other younger VU fans hope will enjoy same as i have being doing over all these.

I know will not be easy but sure not doing anything will be worst.

dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 » 15 Jul 2019 12:14

I only own HD & CD/DVD-R's now. Sold all the rest years ago.

Wick Pick
Hangin' 'round

Post by Wick Pick » 15 Jul 2019 12:29

Yes just like Alfredo, I imagine I will try to sell off, or maybe give away, all of my music collectables before it's too late. I do have a retail space where I could set up a gallery style show. Of course no one would come but I always fantasized about displaying all my posters and records and such.
Alfredo! In 20 years I'll be looking for a post on this forum!

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 20 Jul 2019 03:55

Unfortunately, my kids are like 90% of kids today, with no distinct hobbies other than the electronic variety. I suppose I will look to donate anything I have of high value or collector interest, and let my kids deal with the rest. It isn't something I'll really worry about. When you're gone, you're gone.
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 20 Jul 2019 04:54

The solution might involve something like a Velvet Underground Museum.