A Day of Listening at the Lincoln Center Library

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
cubguy23
Hangin' 'round

Re: A Day of Listening at the Lincoln Center Library

Post by cubguy23 » 17 Jul 2019 02:37

I have a feelings Lou's estate has some kind of deal with Sony since they released that box set a few years ago. I believe it was Sony

Haight Trashbury
Hangin' 'round

Post by Haight Trashbury » 17 Jul 2019 04:26

I’m gonna try and get some copies of these tapes through that ordering system that was linked onto here a few days ago. I should be able to get a hold of the 1965 demos and possibly even the “Everyone Knows” tape. Not sure if they’re available for duplication yet, so I might have to wait a couple months for anything comes in. Not too sure yet. Anyway, I have perfect pitch, so I’ll upload all the chords and lyrics for all of the new songs on those tapes.

starrcade

Post by starrcade » 18 Jul 2019 02:31

while you're at it get the demo tape with Bettye singing with lou

you won't be dissappointed

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 18 Jul 2019 20:11

"We regret that we are unable to provide copies for private screenings, off-site classroom screenings, or research or personal use. As we do not own all rights in our collections, our moving image and audio recordings are generally not available to be consulted outside the Library’s reading room, nor can they be loaned or sold."

Haight Trashbury
Hangin' 'round

Post by Haight Trashbury » 18 Jul 2019 21:46

simonm wrote:
18 Jul 2019 20:11
"We regret that we are unable to provide copies for private screenings, off-site classroom screenings, or research or personal use. As we do not own all rights in our collections, our moving image and audio recordings are generally not available to be consulted outside the Library’s reading room, nor can they be loaned or sold."
Ouch. I assume other people tried already.

pineappleaftermath
Beginning to see the light

Post by pineappleaftermath » 19 Jul 2019 04:08

I can’t remember where I heard it (either here or another forum or Facebook) but I thought the record labels are trying to claim various recordings in the archive and that is making any releases difficult.

Haight Trashbury
Hangin' 'round

Post by Haight Trashbury » 19 Jul 2019 21:43

pineappleaftermath wrote:
19 Jul 2019 04:08
I can’t remember where I heard it (either here or another forum or Facebook) but I thought the record labels are trying to claim various recordings in the archive and that is making any releases difficult.
The 1965 rehearsal (which is what I’m trying to get) was recorded before the VU signed to a label, and therefore probably isn’t being claimed by any labels. In fact, I filed a request form for it to the NYPL yesterday, and they said that with permission from Lou and John’s estates, they’d make me a copy. It seems that the tape is quite available.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 19 Jul 2019 22:47

pineappleaftermath wrote:
19 Jul 2019 04:08
I wondered whether this was why the Cale/3rd album material was not available for listening. But then I would guess that those unreleased recordings made prior to 1969 are now outside of the 50 yr copyright limit and are therefore not open to any ownership claim by UMG. Unless perhaps the estate has agreed to licence them to UMG for some future release?
Last edited by iaredatsun on 19 Jul 2019 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
underground, overground

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 19 Jul 2019 22:48

Haight Trashbury wrote:
18 Jul 2019 21:46
simonm wrote:
18 Jul 2019 20:11
Ouch. I assume other people tried already.
Not necessarily – I think it's a standard notice on their website covering such requests for any materials in the archive.
underground, overground

hkmartin
Head held high

Post by hkmartin » 19 Jul 2019 23:02

Yah, it's from the FAQ I posted earlier at https://www.nypl.org/node/370718. Point 5.