VU Photo Thread

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
taxine
Head held high

Re: VU Photo Thread

Post by taxine » 11 Apr 2020 13:32

Velvet Underground:Sterling Morrison,John Cale and whip dancer Gerard Malanga doing their thing at the Playboy Club in Chicago.

Sterling Morrison:"they hired us to play in the club at a noon fashion show - the clothing was given to us by a mod shop in Old Town. It was written up with a picture in their VIP magazine." june 1966.

Just piked up this cool VU.EPI's Chicago Play Boy Club 1966 shot on twiter last night,I've been freaking since I gazed in The Inevitable Book,always wonder,known every show was different,how worked this one,any idea ?
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 11 Apr 2020 18:42

taxine wrote:
11 Apr 2020 13:32
Just piked up this cool VU.EPI's Chicago Play Boy Club 1966 shot on twiter last night,I've been freaking since I gazed in The Inevitable Book,always wonder,known every show was different,how worked this one,any idea ?
Excellent photo-find Taxine. Never seen this before.
underground, overground

mangue
On the wild side

Post by mangue » 11 Apr 2020 19:47

Re: VU at Playboy Club
Great find Taxine! Thanks!

This might be the tweet where you found the picture - https://twitter.com/PatThomas1964/statu ... 6790375432
The name Pat Thomas rang a sort of bell, I think he did interviews with some members in 1993, so I looked it up and yes.

Interview with John, Sterling and Moe in Berlin, so must be around their 1993.Jun.20 show. Originally the interview was planned including Lou, but he excused himself because his throat was hurting.
The interview was published 1994 May in Ptolemaic Terrascope #16 [or Vol.4 #4], see https://issuu.com/terrascope/docs/ptole ... e_issue_16

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 11 Apr 2020 20:52

A superb find!

I believe Pat is involved in the Reed estate archive project. This appears to be a cellphone snap of a paper original, so perhaps it's from something that's turned up among Lou's stuff.

I don't know what to make of the rounded corners, though -- is that a Twitter staple?
... always wonder, known every show was different, how worked this one, any idea ?
This appearance took place during the daytime, which is amazing for a band (VU) and entity (Playboy) so deeply associated with nighttime. 8-)

It's unlikely that Poor Richard's, the club where the VU was engaged for several weeks that summer, would have approved of them also playing a regular date at another local venue within (or even near) that same period. Most likely it was a private party, corporate engagement or the like.

It also seems likely that the booking was offered and arranged for while they were already in Chicago, as opposed to something that'd been coordinated well in advance.

taxine
Head held high

Post by taxine » 06 May 2020 10:33

More awesome light show from Trip 66,lately I've seen some pix of that EPI.Show what give me some doubts but this looks real and pretty cool btw !!
But there are no stars in New York sky, they're all on the ground.
This is the place where she lay her head when she went to bed at night....

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 10 May 2020 21:30

Most of the Cafe Bizarre photos from 1965 were taken by Adam Ritchie but Paul Morrissey had his camera there too.
Lovely atmospheric image, Lou looks lost in the moment..

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 12 May 2020 16:39

That's a fantastic image, but what makes you think it was shot by Morrissey?

bleach
Head held high

Post by bleach » 12 May 2020 21:04

It is credited to Paul Morrissey on the Cornell University website - do you think its a mistake and its Ritchies?

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 13 May 2020 01:05

It seems less likely to be the work of a person without any known photos from that period (and who seems to claim credit beyond his actual accomplishments) than of a professional photographer who was present at that show, working in just about that position, and whose style it so closely resembles.

It is awfully nice to see one of Ritchie's frames without a watermark. :roll:

alfredovu
Head held high

Post by alfredovu » 25 May 2020 12:49

taxine wrote:
11 Apr 2020 13:32

According to an obscure Ad showed at The Velvet Underground Experience Exhibition the show was held Wednesday June 29, 1966 at 12:30 pm