Cassettes in the UK 89-93

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
threechordwonder
Head held high

Re: Cassettes in the UK 89-93

Post by threechordwonder » 17 Sep 2019 09:42

lurid wrote:
16 Sep 2019 20:16
Yeah thats the wbcn 3/3/69 interview with lou and doug.
Thanks - what a difference a year makes.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 24 Sep 2020 17:11

I've finally documented my tapes and set up a simple Wordpress website. Take a look if you wish https://redsleevetapes.wordpress.com

I haven't finished cross-referencing the tapes to their Afterhours equivalents nor each track to any instances on LPs or CDs, but you are welcome to the site as it stands. Also, tapes and pdf download for 1969 will follow sometime.

You'll see the same stuff turned up time and time again.

schnittstelle
Head held high

Post by schnittstelle » 24 Sep 2020 18:22

threechordwonder wrote:
24 Sep 2020 17:11
I've finally documented my tapes and set up a simple Wordpress website. Take a look if you wish https://redsleevetapes.wordpress.com

I haven't finished cross-referencing the tapes to their Afterhours equivalents nor each track to any instances on LPs or CDs, but you are welcome to the site as it stands. Also, tapes and pdf download for 1969 will follow sometime.

You'll see the same stuff turned up time and time again.
Very nice site!

Sheila Klein
Head held high

Post by Sheila Klein » 25 Sep 2020 01:59

Yeah thats the wbcn 3/3/69 interview with lou and doug.
Richie Unterberger recently learned the identity of the host of that interview. His airname was Mississippi Harold Wilson, and real-life name is Joe Rogers. The fact that most iterations of the recording are incorrectly pitched threw the trail off for a long time, but Joe himself has confirmed the identification.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 17 Oct 2020 09:16

schnittstelle wrote:
24 Sep 2020 18:22

Very nice site!
Thanks schnittselle, I'm glad you like it, and now there's more, I have added tapes with "1969" on the covers but some are from 1968.

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 17 Oct 2020 19:53

threechordwonder wrote:
17 Oct 2020 09:16
Thanks schnittselle, I'm glad you like it, and now there's more, I have added tapes with "1969" on the covers but some are from 1968.
Yes it is a nice site.

The "La Cave Cleveland 10.69" (actually 4th October '68) tape has exactly the same track listing as my copy from circa 1982, with the second WGO inserted in the same place and Ostrich, Sneaky Pete, and ISWY tagged on the end (except, as I recall, ISWY isn't actually on the tape, despite being on the listing.)

My tape was the source of most of the tracks on the version of 4th October '68 that Mark posted in Torrent Announcements back in April. I'd be curious to know how the quality compares with your copy, and whether your copy has the recording of the band checking microphones etc at the beginning of the show, before the first WGO starts, as I haven't come across any other copies that have this.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 18 Oct 2020 18:29

searchin4mymainline wrote:
17 Oct 2020 19:53
I'd be curious to know ... whether your copy has the recording of the band checking microphones etc at the beginning of the show ... as I haven't come across any other copies that have this.
Hi searchin', thanks for your comments.

I've put the tape in the 1969 section because that's how it was "marketed" but I hope the write-up makes it clear the date is wrong. As for ISWY, that exemplifies the fact that some of these of tapes have tracklists that don't match the contents, with missing tracks that disappoint or extra stuff that delights or baffles in equal measures.

Naturally I read the post about the La Cave torrent and it helped to inform me about the extra WGO, alongside Olivier's site of course. As for quality, my tape is muffled and worse than "And so on" or "Problems" or even my '68 tape but I haven't checked out the torrent; maybe someday I will.

And now for the good stuff. Both "La Cave Cleveland 10.69" and "La Cave Cleveland 10.2.68" include the band's soundcheck before they burst into What Goes On. I've put them on YouTube for real fans only - https://youtu.be/YTcTSApAV7g. Both went through my little digitiser with the same settings and you can spot the quality change at 1:18.

I don't know why I didn't spot the soundcheck before; I'll update the write-ups someday soon. Do you recall the source of your tape?

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 18 Oct 2020 19:34

threechordwonder wrote:
18 Oct 2020 18:29

I've put the tape in the 1969 section because that's how it was "marketed" but I hope the write-up makes it clear the date is wrong. As for ISWY, that exemplifies the fact that some of these of tapes have tracklists that don't match the contents, with missing tracks that disappoint or extra stuff that delights or baffles in equal measures.

Naturally I read the post about the La Cave torrent and it helped to inform me about the extra WGO, alongside Olivier's site of course. As for quality, my tape is muffled and worse than "And so on" or "Problems" or even my '68 tape but I haven't checked out the torrent; maybe someday I will.

And now for the good stuff. Both "La Cave Cleveland 10.69" and "La Cave Cleveland 10.2.68" include the band's soundcheck before they burst into What Goes On. I've put them on YouTube for real fans only - https://youtu.be/YTcTSApAV7g. Both went through my little digitiser with the same settings and you can spot the quality change at 1:18.

I don't know why I didn't spot the soundcheck before; I'll update the write-ups someday soon. Do you recall the source of your tape?
Thanks for the reply. Yes the write-up is clear about the date being wrong.

Although it's in the torrent section of the forum, Mark's version using my tape isn't a torrent, it's just a file download. (I haven't got into using torrents myself.)

Thanks for putting the two recordings of the soundcheck on youtube. I don't now recall for sure whether my tape was obtained by writing off to an ad in the NME or from a market stall in Brighton or London, or even from a record fair. I got tapes by all three of those means around that time. The only VU tapes that seemed to be generally circulating then in the UK, as I recall, were this La Cave gig, the April 17 1970 gig (as "Woodrose Ballroom"), the Max's shows, the Bataclan, and the "Demos" tape with Foggy Notion etc. The "Velvet Underground 1966" bootleg LP was also out then. Other tapes and bootlegs appeared over the following years. I think I got the Hilltop Festival tape around 1984 for example.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 08 Nov 2020 09:30

searchin4mymainline wrote:
18 Oct 2020 19:34
I don't now recall for sure ...
Interesting stuff searchin', thanks for the info. I remember those "live material" small ads from the seventies but didn't understand them and anyway in those days I was less bothered. I also remember a Beach Boys devotee showing me a catalogue of reel-to-reel boots that included a handful of Velvets tapes; they nearly all featured Sister Ray so in retrospect I'd guess they were the Professor's work. Lack of understanding, lack of money and lack of an open reel player all combined to block any purchases though.

By the late eighties, or maybe before, some of the early boot albums surfaced on cassette, such as 1966, Live '68, Etc and Boston Tea Partry 10.1.1969; some enterprising soul saw a gap in the market and plugged it. Some of the boot albums were also available in the larger music stores as well - I sourced Etc, And So On and Everything Youve Ever Heard from one of the Big Two on London's Oxford Street (Virgin or HMV, can't remember which).

Anyway, I've made some updates to my tape site https://redsleevetapes.wordpress.com. I have added full Other Source cross references to the tapes from the sixties and seventies, using info from Olivier's website and Discogs, and have replaced a lot of the raw text urls with embedded links in images, so it looks a bit neater.

I also found that the 1971 Dutch Radio tape (with extra rarities) includes performances from nine Velvets, ex-Velvets or chanteuses (Reed, Cale, Morrison, Maclise, Tucker, Nico, D.Yule, Alexander and Powers). Unique but hardly a selling point.

searchin4mymainline
On the wild side

Post by searchin4mymainline » 08 Nov 2020 14:47

Etc. and And So On were indeed available in mainstream record shops. I bought my copies in 1982, and I think I got And So On, and possibly Etc. as well, from Virgin on Oxford Street. I always assumed they somehow had a semi-legit status, as those stores would not normally sell bootlegs, and would risk prosecution if they did, I think. I don't think I ever saw Everything You've Ever Heard about... in a record store, but I can't be certain. I think it was however reviewed in the music press - the NME I think, which would also not be normal for a bootleg. I think I got my copy from Portabello Road market in '82 after learning of its existence from that review.

Interesting to hear about the catalogue of reel-to-reel boots. Do you remember when that would have been?