Todd Haynes docu announcement

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: Todd Haynes docu announcement

Post by iaredatsun » 09 Oct 2021 16:17

I very much enjoyed the film. I didn't think it would be as good as it was. I cannot think anyone could have done better than Haynes has done. Very stylish but also a very strong multi-threaded narrative drive. Quite emotional at the end as things fall apart. And then right at the end, there's a very odd bit of film/video with Lou Reed (RnR Animal era or just after, cropped black hair) talking on the phone and the camera pans to show Andy in a scruffy apartment. And Lou is showing Andy Guy Peelhart's book with the VU painting. Andy asks Lou if he ever sees the others, like it's the first time they've met for a long time. Very poignant.

One thing that I noticed was a piece of live music I had not heard and could not even identify the music. I cannot remember exactly where it came (despite trying to note the part), but at the end I studied the copious credits. And there is a live recording of Black Angel's Death Song from San Francisco. Not a recording I'm familiar with at all. Does anyone know what tape that is, what gig, what year? And then, it might not even be the piece of music I first noticed.
underground, overground

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 09 Oct 2021 19:55

Lookjng forward to viewing this. Sadly I doubt it will be playing in the theater near me.

Re BADS there is a recording of it at the Matrix in SF on the Matrix release. Yule era sadly, so no Cale. Is that what you heard?

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 09 Oct 2021 23:17

peppergomez wrote:
09 Oct 2021 19:55
Lookjng forward to viewing this. Sadly I doubt it will be playing in the theater near me.

Re BADS there is a recording of it at the Matrix in SF on the Matrix release. Yule era sadly, so no Cale. Is that what you heard?
Yes. I forgot about that one. Not sure I don't recall recognising the tune at all. The part of music I heard was used in an early part of the story, and it was noisy. But it may not have been that song. Certainly if they played that version of BADS later in the film it would make sense, but I don't know. There's really a lot going on in the film.
underground, overground

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 10 Oct 2021 19:12

I saw the film, the beginning was great, and the music sounded great loud, but I felt the narrative was a bit uneven and i was bored by the end - some bits were covered in detail, others were skimmed over completely - the post-Cale era lasts about 20 minutes, and they include a bit of the Bataclan footage without any explanation at all. The story about Sterling leaving the post-Lou band at the airport is included, without any mention that the band even continued after Lou left. Jonathan Richman saved it overall i thought, but I wasn't blown away. No Steve Sesnick, Paul Morrissey or Gerard Malanga. Very little from Nico, just one v short bit of audio for her. Doug gets a bit more (but audio only). The soundtrack was interesting - there was Pale Blue Eyes without the vocal, Heroin from Poor Richard's, the piano + drums only from IWFTM, and some isolated distorted electrcic viola at the start that might have been from the studio version of Heroin or BADS, and the early '65 acoustic IWFTM is there - if all this was on the OST it would be worth having, but I'm sure it's not...

urchinn
Beginning to see the light

Post by urchinn » 11 Oct 2021 00:55

Every unreleased note that is not on an official soundtrack will soon make it to a bootleg...

peppergomez
Head held high

Post by peppergomez » 11 Oct 2021 02:35

I won't mind that they gloss over Yule-era VU since its the Cale lineup that I care about.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 14 Oct 2021 09:19

A short review from the BBC that puts this film in the context of streaming services and other "rock docs".

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-58876732

What use would Warhol have made of streaming? Any thoughts anyone?

DavidH
Head held high

Post by DavidH » 15 Oct 2021 08:33

I watched this at home on Apple. In general I enjoyed it a lot (always lovely to see Mary Waranov), and although obviously as a hardcore fan for a long time, I have some issues with it, but most of those I'll overlook. The really peculiar thing was mixing up the order of how things went down around the Max's shows and Lou leaving. The doc makes it seem as though Moe was missing because she was pregnant, then Sterling left (which is just flat out wrong - that happened during the early post-Lou era), and then Lou left. It would give people the impression that the band was falling apart, and that made Lou want to leave, when actually his leaving is what caused everything to fall apart.

gazatthebop
Head held high

Post by gazatthebop » 15 Oct 2021 14:33

Nice to see a Cale screen test at last