IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
threechordwonder
Head held high

IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by threechordwonder » 27 Sep 2009 17:01

Late September 2009 - here in the UK, the BBC is using 'I'm waiting for the man' as the backing track in the trailer for the new series of 'Never mind the Buzzcocks' (a pop quiz of sorts).

I guess it was chosen because they are waiting for a new quizmaster - the team captains are seen looking glumly at the compere's chair.

It's just trivia but I know some of you folks love gems like this.

velvetfan
Head held high

Re: IWTFM - a new piece of trivia - Buzzcocks

Post by velvetfan » 28 Sep 2009 21:24

thanks, we do.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 12 Dec 2011 17:31

Yet more trivia from the BBC. They are using a blast from 'Pale Blue Eyes' in an ad to promote national radio in the UK.

A broken-hearted man sits at his table as the radio plays PBE. He is distraught. Then the radio switches, apparently to the news that Blackpool FC have been promoted to the Premier League (this is English football, or soccer, at its finest). The man cheers up instantly.

Oh, the power of radio. But the use of PBE forty years after release shows it must be prominent in at least one person's psyche.

So if you're taking notes, chalk up this one.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 11 Jan 2012 19:13

Sorry folks, they have done it again so it needs to be noted.

The BBC are using extracts from 'Sunday Morning' to promote their 'Sunday Politics' show. They use the glockenspiel opening and some of the guitar solo from mid-track.

The advert is not particularly impressive - just shots of the presenter, Andrew Neill.

When they stop, I'll stop.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 25 Apr 2012 21:00

Yet more VU on the BBC, though I find this one hard to believe.

In the Countryfile rural affairs programme of 4th March 2012, approximately 30 seconds of chords and bass drum from Heroin are used as background music in the introduction to an article about sheep scanning.

Most odd.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun » 26 Apr 2012 03:23

threechordwonder wrote:Yet more VU on the BBC, though I find this one hard to believe.

In the Countryfile rural affairs programme of 4th March 2012, approximately 30 seconds of chords and bass drum from Heroin are used as background music in the introduction to an article about sheep scanning.

Most odd.
A sign of the times. Last year's avant-garde becomes this year's aural wallpaper. It took 50 years in the case of Heroin ? a bit longer than Venus in Furs did, but generally mass culture is speeding up.

But you say scanning? Maybe the sheep were being used to smuggle heroin.
underground, overground

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 26 Apr 2012 16:31

But you say scanning? Maybe the sheep were being used to smuggle heroin.
Well, I missed that. It must have been a coded message to all the big cheeses in the Cotswold Triangle.

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 28 Jan 2014 19:08

And now the Beeb here in UK are using "Oh! Sweet Nuthin" as the backing track for their trailer for "Outnumbered" (a semi-improvised comedy).

velvetfan
Head held high

Post by velvetfan » 29 Jan 2014 20:23

threechordwonder wrote:And now the Beeb here in UK are using "Oh! Sweet Nuthin" as the backing track for their trailer for "Outnumbered" (a semi-improvised comedy).
What is the length of time for a copyright to run out and "users" don't have to pay royalties? I'm not talking about the length of a clip, I'm talking about copyright expiration?
Could this have anything to do with these old Lou songs appearing now?

threechordwonder
Head held high

Post by threechordwonder » 29 Jan 2014 21:54

velvetfan wrote: What is the length of time for a copyright to run out and "users" don't have to pay royalties? I'm not talking about the length of a clip, I'm talking about copyright expiration?
Could this have anything to do with these old Lou songs appearing now?
I think copyright lasts 50 years from the last official release (IIRC there is a mention of this in another thread), so these clips would incur a charge levied by MCPS or one of the collecting societies. Therefore I think there is a VU fan at the BBC who simply enjoys using VU tracks on his or her trailers, and I record that choice here. To be fair, other bands or pieces of music are also used at times, but I couldn't name one offhand.

And all the 45th anniversary re-releases extend the copyright to the 2060s (when the world will be a bit different from now).