VU Pics Wanted

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
alfredovu
Head held high

VU Pics Wanted

Post by alfredovu » 20 May 2004 18:33

I´m looking for scans of the following:

January 2-14, 1967
Steve Paul's Scene, New York City, New York
The Steve Paul & Andy Warhol Underground Amateur Hour .
Photos: shot on January 7 by Fred McDarrah, available in:
+Q #82, July 1993, p. 55
+Life - The Observer Magazine, 3 January 1993, p. 12
+MOJO #63, February 1999, p. 61

December 4, 1966
Action House, Island Park, New York
Night Beat Magazine presents Freak Out '66
Photos: by Tim Boxer - one available in MOJO 104, July 2002, p. 117

Pls contact me if you can help. It will be very much appreciated.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 20 May 2004 21:05

Alfredo - there are some pics of Nico at the Action House that you can see at the website of the photo agency Getty Images.
There aren't any pics of the whole band, but if I remember rightly there's Nico n Andy backstage, and Nico on stage, maybe with Gerard M or Mary W in shot, plus a guitar neck or something.

ah - here they are http://editorial.gettyimages.com/source ... o+1966&p=7

when you download them they are watermarked though ...

Simon

alfredovu
Head held high

SURPRISE

Post by alfredovu » 21 May 2004 13:30

Simon, thanks so much for the link. You are right. There are just a pic of Nico singing (very interesting as you can see the "Fender" equipment from this other group "Last Words"). I will look at Olivier´s to see if the appear sharing any bill with the VU.
The surprise is that if you fill in the seaching box with velvet underground there are 3 increadible good group pictures:
One shows the VU at stage (unknown localtion for me): Moe on drums, Lou & Sterl playing face to face. I can not see John, but you can clearly iddentify his Vox Continental Organ on the right side of the stage. Audience seems to be seated on tables and kind of indiferent.
The other two are from the Tea Party (Billy Name). There are a lot of light and you can clearly see the audience -it was packed- and a girl dancing. If you look closely the pictures, you can see John playing bass giving his back to the public!

jimjim
Head held high

Post by jimjim » 21 May 2004 14:20

Alfredo, the pic the previous poster mentioned is in the Photos section of my group jimjims.

Here's the link:

http://photos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ji ... yahoo.com/
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

alfredovu
Head held high

EPI IN CANADA & TEA PARTY

Post by alfredovu » 21 May 2004 14:25

The Last Words was a 60´s Canadian group from Clarkson Ontario, but played a lot in Toronto (Yorksville Village was the "hot spot" there).
The Velvets were aparently in Toronto Nov. 14 1966, after Nov 12 gig at McMaster University

The Tea Party Pics: could it be shoot at??:
August 11-12, 1967
The Boston Tea Party, Boston, Massachusetts
Be part of what's Happening
Flyer: "Be part of what's Happening. Andy Warhol Underground Filmmaker comes to the Boston Tea Party this weekend to capture the people on films they explode to the sights and sounds of The Velvet Underground. You are the star. You are what's Happening. Be part of Boston's first authentic underground movie". Art: F. Murphy.
Poster: 14" wide x 17½" high, printed on poster board. © LIGHTSHIP PROD 67, Dolphin Design.
Film: Andy Warhol filmed this weekend in Boston. According to The Andy Warhol Museum, there are some film canisters labled Boston Tea Party but the film has not been seen.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 21 May 2004 16:03

Wow - I missed the Billy Name pics before somehow! How did that happen?
The last pic says its at a club called Trauma - so that would probably be
July 19-22 & 26-29, 1967
The Trauma, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania

poster here: http://members.aol.com/olandem2/vupo670719.jpg
they played with the Beacon Street Union that night!

PS the Last Words - I have an LP on Atlantic by a group with that name from 1968 - may be the same bunch. It's kind of psych, a bit Mothers-ish, quite weird.
Some pics here - seems the Canadian Last Words split in '67, this is a New York band who later relocated to Florida (I know you like this kind of information Alfredo!)

http://p215.ezboard.com/flimestoneloung ... D=91.topic

alfredovu
Head held high

More

Post by alfredovu » 21 May 2004 18:58

Simon, Were did you read "THE TRAUMA" on the last pic? I have been again on the site and did not find that.

If it is correct would be great to have a pic of our heroes at a new location: The Trauma!

By the way. I changed the picture on the VUAS site "Picture of the week"section. I have been thinking and asking for a location for this picture for along, long time.
Any guess??
John is playing viola and seems to be singing!

Thanks man your time. I really love VU pics

CL

Post by CL » 21 May 2004 21:03

According to MOJO (Feb. 1999) this picture is from the Scene, January 7, 1967. I have no idea if it is correct or not. And maybe John is doing the hissing sound in Black Angel's Death Song.

simonm
Head held high

Post by simonm » 21 May 2004 23:21

Trauma?
If you scroll down after enlarging the image there is a caption
mixed in with the copyright info etc

Image #50406545
Title: Rock group Velvet Underground performing
Subject: Arts, Culture and Entertainment, Music
Caption:
Rock group Velvet Underground performing at nightclub Trauma. (Photo by Billy Name/Ovoworks/Ovoworks/Time Life Pictures/Getty Images)

I don't think I'd seen that Pic of the Week before, but John does look like he's grimacing/gritting his teeth - could well be the SSSSSSSSS! in BADS I think, yeah.

MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 » 22 May 2004 17:52

I would advise doing a google search for "velvet underground." You'd really be surprised what pops up. Hell, the other day while I did it I found a crapload of John Cale ticket stub scans!
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music