Angus MacLise stuff to download

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
tarbaby2
Head held high

Angus MacLise stuff to download

Post by tarbaby2 » 01 Jun 2006 06:14

For anyone who is interested:

Angus MacLise - The Invasion Of Thunderbolt Pagoda (1968-1972)

The best available recorded documentation of MacLise's work has imperfect fidelity and sketchy details about the five tracks, recorded between 1968 and 1972. It does, however, reveal multiple facets of the percussionist's adventurous music, and firmly establishes him as a significant force in experimental sound in projects not at all related to the Velvet Underground. The most powerful and ambitious of the five cuts is the 39-minute title song, an improvised soundtrack to Ira Cohen's avant-garde film of the same name. MacLise's polyrhythmic hand drum anchors a spooky, hypnotic piece in which organ, tanpura (both played by his wife Hetty MacLise), flute, guitar, dulcimer, and disturbing vocal chants ebb and subside like a Halloween dream soundscape. Although it's not detailed in the liner notes, ghostly reverb seems to be employed on both the flute and vocals, adding to a otherworldly ambience in which psychedelia, shamanistic rhythm, avant-garde drone, and Indian music weave shifting prisms around each other. The other four selections are a real mixed bag, in the best sense of that expression. "Shortwave-India" is a one-minute blast of radio static and white noise; "Heavenly Blue Pt. 4 & 5," credited to the Universal Mutant Repertory Company, is another combination of drum and drone that puts a greater accent on Indian and Asian music influences; and "Blastitude" is a more rhythmic construction that might remind some listeners of Moroccan trance music, with periodic unascribed orgiastic yelps and sighs. The concluding "Humming in the Night Skull," featuring MacLise on song bells, Hetty MacLise on harmonium, and others on flute and guitar, is a soothing combination of tones (punctuated by a couple of baby cries), demonstrating that Angus was not entirely devoted to angst. (Richie Unterberger, All Music Guide)

http://rapidshare.de/files/20390324/tbo ... a.zip.html

upsetter
On the wild side

Post by upsetter » 01 Jun 2006 19:53

Thanks for that! The start of the first track is so close to the soundtrack for Hedy or other tracks like 'Nothing Song' ie the early improvisational Velvets. I recommend this to everybody keen on this early Velvet Underground period.

BTW, this was uploaded by http://8daysinapril.blogspot.com/
which has lots of weird 60's / 70's folk / psychedelica :D

jimjim
Head held high

Post by jimjim » 02 Jun 2006 10:25

Nice.....except that neither of the files are there anymore. :evil:

Can someone re-upload? Please? :D
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

upsetter
On the wild side

Post by upsetter » 02 Jun 2006 11:13

It seems ok to me but I've uploaded it again:
http://rapidshare.de/files/20390324/tbo ... a.zip.html :)

jimjim
Head held high

Post by jimjim » 02 Jun 2006 13:17

upsetter wrote:It seems ok to me but I've uploaded it again:
http://rapidshare.de/files/20390324/tbo ... a.zip.html :)
Am I blind? I can't see it. I've used this before and the 'download' link is there on the page you or others link to but all I get here is the standard 'join now' page. Hmm.
"If anyone had a heart
They wouldn't turn around & break it
And if anyone played a part
They wouldn't turn around & fake it"
Lou Reed, 'Sweet Jane', 1970

upsetter
On the wild side

Post by upsetter » 02 Jun 2006 14:32

On the first page you get to, scroll down and click on the 'Free' button. This will take you to another page where it tells you 'Download ticket reserved. Please wait ... seconds. When it gets to 0 it refreshes for you to then type in a few letters / numbers, then that's it. 8-)

Pernod time
On the wild side

Post by Pernod time » 04 Jun 2006 18:36

Wow, thanks a lot for that,its great stuff. I read about it a few years back but never got my hands on it.
Anyone know any more details about the recording, where it was done, the players,date etc.

Chance
Head held high

Post by Chance » 06 Jun 2006 06:02

Hey, besides the MacLise stuff, thanks for the link to that blog in general. A wee too much prog and Krautrock maybe, but you weed through it all and there's some really interesting stuff waiting to be found. "Axis: Bold As Love" outtakes, baby!

upsetter
On the wild side

Post by upsetter » 06 Jun 2006 19:54

there's also Chocoreve at http://chocoreve.blogspot.com/ I paid for a rapidshare account for a week and downloaded a huge amount of stuff from both these blogs ... sorry for this going off topic :oops:

LCB
Head held high

Post by LCB » 09 Jun 2006 16:06

that site is pretty dope: sabbaf live in paris and The New Yardbirds, prior to their incarnation as Led Zeppelin.....
Do The Ostrich!