3rd album cover what-if

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
Sheila Klein
Head held high

3rd album cover what-if

Post by Sheila Klein » 10 Aug 2019 22:35

According to this posting at the Doom And Gloom From The Tomb blog site: https://tinyurl.com/yy79lear, Steve Nelson's rearrangement of his own "child's drawing" poster for a December '68 appearance at the Boston Tea Party was under consideration for use as the cover art to the band's third album.

Steve tells me that Lou loved his idea, but the Billy Name "couch" photo was ultimately selected instead. Not that there's a thing wrong with that cover as it appeared, but it's interesting to speculate on how different the "feel" of that album would've been had this playful and optimistic (who loves that sun!) artwork been used instead.

Steve's faux-naif lettering also suggests that the album's official title, had his cover been selected, could well have been The Velvet Unerground.

pineappleaftermath
Beginning to see the light

Re: 3rd album cover what-if

Post by pineappleaftermath » 10 Aug 2019 23:49

Personally I love this idea. I like illustrations generally and this one is really cute. I think Lou said something to the effect of, how did you know we were just kids playing music? Which is, well, not really the whole story, but it does kinda fit this album. The actual album cover is okay but not as good as the first two IMO. This would have been more impactful I think. Then again, I also like the tacky bum cover of Live 1969.

iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: 3rd album cover what-if

Post by iaredatsun » 11 Aug 2019 18:12

Seems unlikely that it was seriously being considered. I think it would have certainly put me off.
underground, overground