Anthology of Lou’s Work for Pickwick Records - Light In The Attic

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
rnranimal
Head held high

Re: Anthology of Lou’s Work for Pickwick Records - Light In The Attic

Post by rnranimal »

bobbydriver wrote: 30 Sep 2024 13:41 Having picked this up and weeding out the downloaded boots which are now upgraded, and there are a few tracks missing from the Anthology maybe?

On the boots we have

Your Love / Merry Go Round (Lewis Reed)

Don't Put All You Eggs in One Basket (The All-Night Workers)

So Blue (the Jades)

The last two have the other side of their respective 7"s included, so are we to assume Lou wasn't involved on the flip and therefore omitted from the Anthology ?

The first two - looks like these never got an official release but are out there in the wild somehow
So Blue / Leave Her For Me and Your Love / Merry Go Round weren't done for Pickwick and were released officially on: https://www.discogs.com/release/5331708 ... had-Story-
bobbydriver
On the wild side

Post by bobbydriver »

rnranimal wrote: 30 Sep 2024 15:17 So Blue / Leave Her For Me and Your Love / Merry Go Round weren't done for Pickwick and were released officially on: https://www.discogs.com/release/5331708 ... had-Story-
Thanks!

So Don't Put All Your Eggs isn't a Lou original so I guess that confirms he's not playing on it (definitely isn't him singing!)
falconwhit
On the wild side

Post by falconwhit »

These 4 songs are of course also available on this great Norton EP
https://www.discogs.com/release/1080801 ... ce-Parties
falconwhit
On the wild side

Post by falconwhit »

Just got my copy and started to listen to it.

As already stated, the sequencing is really frustrating - I really don't understand why they didn't order the songs logically - i.e. all the Lou Reed stuff on one side.

The other huge disappointment is the way this sounds. The mastering is really terrible - the tracks sound limp, muffled, digitally over-processed, filtered, all life has been sucked out of those songs. Comparing against the originals - i.e. Soul City on Out of Sight - is right in your face on the original, it's super quiet and completely flat here. This has been equ'ed, de-noised, deessed, you name it, to death, when a straight transfer - warts and all - would have been so much better.

This is such a missed opportunity, it's really baffling.
Despite the packaging and the unreleased track, this is not going to replace the old bootlegs, it's just one more "thing" to be filed away on the shelves.
falconwhit
On the wild side

Post by falconwhit »

Additional gripes:

1) The first LP is not flat but wobbles. Back in the days when records were the most common way to listen to music (meaning - before CDs), I never once got a new record that was warped. Apparently this is not uncommon w LITA product though.

2) The 2nd record is 45RPM. When reading on the LITA site that this was a 2xLP set, I naively assumed this mean two "Long Players".
I know this seems like nitpicking, but in my case it matters because both of my Dual turntables don't spin properly at 45rpm. This is usually not a big deal because I'm an LP guy - I don't care for singles. So I have one LP that wobbles, and a second one I won't be able to play because of the speed.
A little more transparency in the description on the LITA site would have been nice.

End of additional gripes.

(Of course, I will probably end up buying whatever other Lou Reed stuff they release next.)
dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 »

So try to live at least a hundred years. Since Lou's passing, so in about 11 years, Lita (not Ford, mind you, the label founded in 2002) has only issued 3 records, two reissues and one of new releases but incomplete -in relation to the original tapes-. RCA has at the same time made an unreleased NY 73 live and one of demos from 1971. Not great, huh.
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun »

falconwhit wrote: 11 Oct 2024 01:31 Additional gripes:

1) The first LP is not flat but wobbles. Back in the days when records were the most common way to listen to music (meaning - before CDs), I never once got a new record that was warped. Apparently this is not uncommon w LITA product though.

2) The 2nd record is 45RPM. When reading on the LITA site that this was a 2xLP set, I naively assumed this mean two "Long Players".
I know this seems like nitpicking, but in my case it matters because both of my Dual turntables don't spin properly at 45rpm. This is usually not a big deal because I'm an LP guy - I don't care for singles. So I have one LP that wobbles, and a second one I won't be able to play because of the speed.
A little more transparency in the description on the LITA site would have been nice.

End of additional gripes.

(Of course, I will probably end up buying whatever other Lou Reed stuff they release next.)
I’m not sure the fact that you have a dodgy turntable is LITA’s fault. But you could send them back for a refund - one is faulty and the other not as described?
Last edited by iaredatsun on 14 Oct 2024 22:06, edited 1 time in total.
underground, overground
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun »

I’ve heard the digital versions whilst I await the CD, and wanted to add to the thread that I find nothing wrong with the sound quality of this release.
underground, overground
hallucalation

Post by hallucalation »

iaredatsun wrote: 14 Oct 2024 22:05 I’ve heard the digital versions whilst I await the CD, and wanted to add to the thread that I find nothing wrong with the sound quality of this release.
Exactly, it's exaggerated beyond belief. It have more high end than any of the bootlegs sourced from vinyl and there's a clear audible tape hiss on the fades of the tracks suggesting it's using original tapes which still exist.
MJG196
Born to Lose

Post by MJG196 »

falconwhit wrote: 11 Oct 2024 01:31 Additional gripes:

The 2nd record is 45RPM.
That fact alone is annoying as hell. I'm glad I held off from buying this release.

I'm beyond being a completist for any artist. If it's a crap release, I'm not going to waste my money on it, so this one is a big NO for me. :lol:
Bargain bin gold, favorite bands, concerts, photos, and my record collection: All Good Music