Anthology of Lou’s Work for Pickwick Records - Light In The Attic

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Re: Anthology of Lou’s Work for Pickwick Records - Light In The Attic

Post by iaredatsun »

CD is good. Nice sleeve, healthily full booklet , all printed on uncoated card and paper-stock. CD plays back at normal CD speeds.
underground, overground
MartinVU
Hangin' 'round

Post by MartinVU »

iaredatsun wrote: 21 Oct 2024 23:43 CD plays back at normal CD speeds.
Ha ha! (Laughing even though I do get annoyed by LITA pretending to make lofi tecordings seem hifi by making 45 rpm vinyl, but mahbe they don't know any better - or how to make the same mistake on cds..)

Are there any tracks worth having that we don't already have on bootlegs?
iaredatsun
Now jelly rolls in the street

Post by iaredatsun »

MartinVU wrote: 22 Oct 2024 11:49
iaredatsun wrote: 21 Oct 2024 23:43 CD plays back at normal CD speeds.
Ha ha! (Laughing even though I do get annoyed by LITA pretending to make lofi tecordings seem hifi by making 45 rpm vinyl, but mahbe they don't know any better - or how to make the same mistake on cds..)
I wonder whether they decided to do this as they felt the 2nd LP would have felt rather empty if pressed at 33. I see your point about lo-fi recordings not benefitting from 45rpm cuts. But how lo-fi are those selected tracks ?
underground, overground
MartinVU
Hangin' 'round

Post by MartinVU »

You are probably right. Might as well go 45 just in case their is a sonic benefit. Maybe it's not right to call these songs lo-fi, but if recall correctly the Pickwick studio was pretty primitive.

My annoyance came more from the fact that they did a 45 rpm version of Words & Music which seemed like a gimmick considering the quality of the recordings. But if anyone got both versions and has done a comparison I'm all ears..

Oh, and if anyone wants to fall down the rabbit hole of 33 vs 45 this thread on the Hoffman forum was enlightening to me: https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/ ... rd.908494/

Notice that Steve Hoffman himself seems to think the only difference is that 45 can be louder, but of course the audiohiles don't agree (do they ever?)
dial4
Head held high

Post by dial4 »

No, the 45 rpm 30 or 25 cm allows the engraving of more dynamics and bandwidth because more material passes in front of the diamond per second. The distortion at the end of the side where the groove contains less vinyl than the outside is also less pronounced. This is in the theoretical ideal because the sound engineer will have to calculate the engraving well to best occupy the available space because there will be less possible duration.