Ronn Campisi VU Shots

For discussion of all aspects of the New York legends.
alfredovu
Head held high

Ronn Campisi VU Shots

Post by alfredovu » 19 Mar 2014 13:54

As far as I know, Ronn Campisi well known VU shots of the VU has been credited to be taken at the Boston Tea Party second location.

I think this is not correct but taken at The Unicorn (with Moe pregnant) probbaly in 1970

See this picture of the J. Geils Band taken at the Unicorn 1967 where you can see the Unicorn tapestry hanging on the wall (same as in Campisi VU shots)

Last edited by alfredovu on 19 Mar 2014 18:53, edited 1 time in total.

bleach
Head held high

Re: Ron Campisi VU Shots

Post by bleach » 19 Mar 2014 17:12

Hey Alfredo! Thanks for posting that photo - its really nice and answers some of my questions I had.

Interestingly there might have been another photographer at that gig. I bought a print last year below - its stamped "Joseph Stevens" on the back so has to be his. If it didn't have this on you'd think it was a Campisi image. Unfortunately he went abit moodier with the printing so theres no detail in the background. Nice to see Sterling take centre stage - i wonder what he's singing on..

alfredovu
Head held high

Re: Ron Campisi VU Shots

Post by alfredovu » 19 Mar 2014 17:52

There is an additional question here ... Ronn Campisi pictures were published firts time in Fusion Magazine March 6, 1970 ... accoring to Olivier´s Web Site only Unicorn gig was May 26-June 7.
Seems they played at The Unicorn before that May.